Steer Tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mover man, Nov 21, 2019.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Put a set of Michelin on my front end about 12-14,000 miles ago. Today when checking air pressure. I noticed the pass side tire was installed wrong. The direction arrow is pointing wrong way. Can I just have turned, is tire ruined, etc? I check air pressure on truck and trailer at least once a week. Sometimes I use points and do it at loves. I dont understand why between me, the wife, loves speed pass guys, it wasnt noticed till now. I do no $$ what that tire cost.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Probably okay. MD Alignment guy says it only needs to be the right direction first 30,000 miles or so.
    Just have it flipped back around.
    It may wind up wearing funny compared to the other tire. You should still get a reasonable life out of it.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

After 50% of tread depth use, the direction can be changed. I’d say your tire will be fine but not your fuel economy. It seems like directional tires help with mpg’s.

KB3MMX, mover man and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Thanks I'm at home now. But monday will leave out early enough. So I can stop and have it turned. Fuel mileage isnt an issue, at least it hasn't been so far.

KB3MMX and PE_T Thank this.
  6. thejudges69

thejudges69 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2015
    It won't affect your fuel mileage, seriously, don't overthink it. Turn it around and go, the tires fine

KB3MMX and mover man Thank this.
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I have Michelin XZA3’s and had a slight pull to the right swapped them side to side and have had the Steer> going backwards with absolutely no problems or a pull for a long time now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.