Steering Tire Blowout

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tumblin dice, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Unless defective from factory, tread doent just come off. This can however be caused by under inflation.

What do you consider name brand? I would not put anything but michilans anywhere on my truck, but especially my steers. Did you have a TPMS? Can you verify it didnt start leaking mid trip? If a tire makes it 20,000 miles its normally not defective. My SS blew after only 6000 miles because it was defective. (michilan replaced it free)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    I had a steer blowout at 70 mph,in that east bound curve on I 30 west of Little Rock
    It was " rodeo time", good thing I'm short and strong bc I had to stand straight up and hold that wheel with all I had bc she wanted that East bound side something fierce!

JolliRoger, Lepton1 and bobtrucks2204 Thank this.
  4. bobtrucks2204

bobtrucks2204 Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Had a right steer blowout years ago on a straight truck. No radial, bias ply.

Scared the daylights outta me, got a death grip on the wheel and coasted over to the shoulder.

Those guys I see driving with left foot on dash wearing flip flops or with seat back and two fingers on wheel or arm hanging out need to watch that video above.

I like to be ready at all times, be safe out there

77smartin Thanks this.
  5. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you saying that all those 61 MPH trucks should be running 58 MPH just in case they have a blowout?

6. MustangMark83

MustangMark83 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
    That would be the way that people suggest. But drivers aren't gonna go less than their already slow governed speed just for the 0.0001% change of having a steer tire blowout.

7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I blew a steer tire years ago on or 377 pete with a hopper bottom full load (80,000) running close to 70 mph. Tire blew and separated messed up the inside of the fender but didn't rip it off.
    As for controlling the truck. I felt the front end go down and a slight pull to that side. Light brake application and pull it to the side. Really no big deal at all. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe everyone worries way more than necessary. Maybe I'm a super trucker.

8. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Mine pulled so hard to the left ( left steer blew) that I had to stand up to keep it from heading over to on coming traffic, so I suppose it's a gamble....

9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    If you stop and think about it, it's really only a hazard if you're coasting above the governor. The sudden drag of the tire letting loose will slow the truck quickly, and bring a truck riding the governor below governed speed so that power will come up and stabilize the truck. Romping on it when the tire fails isn't about accelerating, it's about the lessening the steer loading and the fact that almost all vehicle are more stable under power.

Now if you're falling off the Sisters @ 10mph over your governed speed and lose the steer, you're going to have a more interesting ride.:biggrin_25524:

10. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    My first day in the truck and with my trainer ( in a galaxy far far away... ) had a steer rf steer blow on a skinny 2 lane grass shoulder highway in Mo. Was 25 miles from where I started in Kingdom City. There was my sign..........and I missed it,,,but it wouldn't be the last...lol

trainer was ####faced along with his drawers.....just kinda sat there for a minute and said,," I ain't got nothing to say " guess I did ok,,,

11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Hasn't happened in years--hope it don't again BUT #### happens....&all the prep maintenance etc..wont do a thing for you in a freak situation.

The KEY here is not to PANIC & ALWAYS be ready for the unexpected....

slow gentle adjustments...slight accel may help....emphasis on GENTLE....

Which is only ONE of the 9Billion or so reasons---the (so called)Drivers I see Every#######day ridin down the road--w/their foot on the Dash eatin a samich....adjustin their GPS&Talking on the phone make me bat####......

But whadda I know....Im jus one o those cranky ol skool ##### who just doesn't get it......at least that's what all these pros I hear everyday tell me

Dale thompson and Oldman49 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.