Steering Tire Blowout

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tumblin dice, Jul 26, 2014.

1. tumblin dice

tumblin dice Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Now that's a funny story......you done good driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

Blown Steer 10 miles north of Beaver,UT on I-15

I was 116,000 gross, 12ft wide, 90 ft OAL ,,did $8,000 damage to truck,, only 15,000 on the steer. Don't buy Bridgestone wide based tires..

3 1/2 million miles and my first blown steer.

I held on tight, steered to the shoulder and good thing for ABS.
    Blown Tire.jpg

4. j_martell

j_martell Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Centre Wellington, Ontario
    That's some mess there.....but coulda been worse

5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    I do get a kick outta the name brand tire game...same as Ford Chevy...both can b great both can suck......

I have MY preferences...but why open that can o worms? LMAO

BUT I will say this...... I don't give a rats ### what brand it is.....the needless Abuse I see some of these folks put their steer tired thru.....is actually a testament to how much Better all brands of tire are today

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  6. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    if i get a steer blowout should I turn off the jake brake?

7. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    I was taught by my company to floor the accelerator and pull the tractor protection valve then slowly release the accelerator.

Their justification was acceleration would help reduce the load on the steer axle and the trailer brakes wouldn't risk a lot of yaw from the blown tire's brake.

ready2truck Thanks this.
  8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I don't think you'd have time to think about it. Seems like your focus, instinctively, would be grabbing the wheel with both hands and riding that bull to the shoulder. Especially if your jake is a dash switch, I doubt you'd get to it in time.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    5 years ago I hit something and the passanger steer blew. Just held on and set my coffee down kicked the cc off and let the jakes slow me down and pulled over... only damage was the underhood splash guards..

10. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I'm pretty anal about my steers. Replace them ling before needed, I stick them every day at least once and I do a quick temp check with a lazer thermo gun every time I get out.
    I run BF's and no issues yet?

86scotty and flood Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Bad idea. 100% of your attention and both of your hands should be used to keep the truck rolling straight, then starting a gradual move off the road.

That steering wheel is going to fight you every inch of the way.

If you are in a manual transmission, clutch in and ignore the gear you are in, and allow the truck to slow without brakes.

If you are on a mountain down grade or severe curve, and you lose a steer, you're double-####ed and trailer brakes might be your best choice, but I hope you have Popeye arms, because taking one hand off the wheel means you get to wrestle 80k lbs with one hand.

EDIT : Meh. 2014 original post.

86scotty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.