Stepdeck is damaged by shipper

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Red379, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Red379

Red379 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Hello,
    I need an advise....
    My driver has picked up an oversize load it is some old junky powercurber probably 100 years old... Anyway the shipper made a hole size of cigarette pack by dropping some movable (bucket/arm) part down. Trailer is rental 2015 stepdeck. I called broker and he said call shipper. Shipper is not answering. What am i supposed to do now? Any ideas? Who is supposed to pay for it? Shipper? His insurance? Broker? My insurance? Or maybe just forget about it and take it to welding shop and repair it at my expense?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I would definitely be on the phone with someone at tbe shipper. Try to remain professional.

If that fails.. see what you can get the broker to do. Its the brokers customer after all.

If that fails.. treat it like a hit and run.

Bad situation to be in.. but this is the business we are in. Very few people have honor and integrity anymore.

Hurst

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Broker ain't going to do squat don't wast you time.

The shipper might if you spend enough time pester him on the phone, but is it worth it? I would try.

Wood deck? Or aluminum? Upper or lower? If its wood it might be easier to just repair it yourself and shut up. Aluminum can get expensive to do right. But most rental companies wouldn't know right from wrong. If you spent a $50 getting a shade tree welder to patch it most rental companies wouldn't know the difference. I would but I don't rent, so there.

HalpinUout and Red379 Thank this.
  5. Red379

Red379 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2015
    It is aluminum lower deck.

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Unless you have pictures before during and after. Good luck. I had a loader in Tennessee steel haulers lot pull my drop panel(aluminum) apart on vertical corner brace.
    It became a he said he said bs circus.

Less headache and stress. Just fix it.

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Driver should have taken pictures on site and had shipper sign a note on the BOL stating they damaged the equipment. I don't think you are going to have much luck proving they did it if he left the site now.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yep, I think it's on your dime now. Cuz the rental certainly won't fix it on THEIR dime. And they might charge you more vs. if you fixed it yourself.

9. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Broker didn't load it, why would they pay for any damage?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.