Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I have been working on this for awhile but I have my own truck, trailer, and authority, hauling my first load tomorrow. It has taken many hours of work to get this operation ready to hit the road and I'm excited to get started. I will be pulling reefer freight and based of the Northwest Arkansas area. I do my best to give an accurate picture of what it is has been like as a company driver, O/O under a carrier's authority, and, moving forward, as a one truck motor carrier.

I have a 2012 truck and recently bought a 2011 Utility with a Carrier 2500A to get me started. Arkansas is a great market for reefer freight and I'm hoping to start off strong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I wish you the best of luck, because I'm seeing that no matter how much you plan, research, plan again, network, and make another plan, it sometimes just comes down to luck.

4. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Good luck! I'm starting finally next week. You're so right. It took many, many hours to get it started. Driving the truck is the simplest part of the whole thing. I can't believe all the new authorities. I logged on to that ICAAP site or whatever it is for printing your authority cert early. There were around 500 new authorities granted in ONE DAY alone! Crazy stuff. Hundreds of new authorities every day.

wyodispatchgirl and Misesian Thank this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You'll like that reefer a lot better than a lousy dry van for rates especially on longer hauls. Though I still prefer short hauls personally. The only thing I don't care for is reefer paperwork can be cumbersome. With a typical van load you have 1 or 2 pages of BOL's to get paid on. With the reefer you might have 10-20 pages of BOL that has to all be turned in to get paid, and that might just be for one drop... I've seen 40 pages before and it all had to get turned it... And endless lumper fees everywhere but at least those get reimbursed.

6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
  7. gentran

gentran Light Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Congrats, 5 years later i still remember the first load i pickup with my own authority. Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face. Roll with the punches and persevere. Good luck.

8. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    IMG_2043.JPG

Especially true with new food safety rules or FSMA. The day to day operation doesn't change but there is more paperwork and reporting involved now for food transport.

Just got back from putting on plates and stickers. I'll put a pic of it above.

blacklabel, Dave_in_AZ, SoDel and 6 others Thank this.
  9. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Don't forget to keep it full of fuel. It's a ##### to have to prime an empty reefer at 3am in that cold. Don't ask how I know this.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Looks good. You know it's funny you mention those new food safety rules that allegedly went into effect last month. So far from what I have seen it's been business as usual and haven't heard a peep about that from any of the brokers I've worked with. The shippers all seem to be business as usual too.

jt road hammer and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas

I don't think many are enforcing it. I have a good friend who is a broker and he just got setup with a customer and they wanted a break down of his food safety program: operating procedures, contingency plans, and record keeping practices. I have been to a couple places recently that get the flashlight and the clipboard and do a thorough trailer inspection and not pencil whip the form. I am geared up to be fully compliant just in case.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.