Steps selling a truck and trailer

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    I’d move it to another account at another entirely different bank , and then I’d release the truck and title.

about 99% of the people on CL are scammers .
    No way would I trust a random stranger to drive off with my $250k rig until I was #### sure I had the money

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    The buyer is financing part of the purchase and the rest is being sent via a wire transfer He's already wired $5,000 deposit to hold it for him. Wire transfers are nearly impossible to reverse, even if a mistake was made and funds sent to the wrong account. While I agree that there are a ton of scammers on Craigslist, there are ways to protect yourself if you know what to look for.

4. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Ask the plumbing guy that sold his truck and caught on camera running around the Middle East by the Taliban with his name plastered on the side.

As far as the title goes, transferred just like a car. Sign the back and issue a bill of sale.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    On a big ticket item like a rig I would be going old school and meeting them at the bank. Also, I wouldn't be selling to a stranger. By the time we have a deal I would likely know them. I wouldn't do business with someone I wasn't comfortable doing business with unless it was cash. But, with rigs we'd be talking suitcases of cash so let's just get a bank involved. If they aren't comfortable with in person at a bank, walk. There's probably a good reason they aren't comfortable with it.

6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    When I sold a truck that’s what I did. We met at the bank and he gave the check to the banker. Of course since the bank still held the title it was an obvious decision, but I was glad for the added protection of doing the deal there too.

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I had a small eBay business long ago. Sold lots of cellphones to small stores. Had an order for $6500 and they gave me cashier check for it. I deposit it in bank and it clears. 7 days later the bank yanks the money back out. Turns out they were stolen cashiers checks from a bank. I never seen that money or got it resolved.

cash or ACH wire now only for me. If another bank is involved I feel better.

86scotty and SteveScott Thank this.
  8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Make sure you get copies of their DL, had issue with Federal Agency asking me questions on a truck I sold years ago and last registered to me. He was running illegal for a year before they caught him.

Make sure that copy of the DL is on his BOS and yours.

9. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Wow that’s tough. Way too many smart crooks now days.

JoeyJunk and Siinman Thank this.
  10. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    What section did you post it in? Heavy equipment for sale by owner?

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Not sure, I have not sold anything related to trucking, just personal vehicles, motorcycles and campers.

I was just suggesting it because there's more truck activity around Atlanta than any place else in the Southeast.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.