Steps to running under my own authority?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by freightrunner, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    3 weeks.... if OOIDA does it $800 plus an extra $30 if you want them to file your PUCO

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

You may want to call Landstar and ask them about the time requirement. I don't think they have a 2 year waiting time. There are only a few brokers that require carriers to be in business a minimum amount of time before allowing them to haul their loads. Most are 6-12 months. In any case, there are many other brokers than Landstar. I don't believe that CH Robinson has a waiting period and they could probably keep you fairly busy. If you want to get your authority the best thing is to get your insurance and apply for your authority rather than waiting until this guy retires.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

You can apply for your authority yourself and save quite a bit of money. As I have previously stated, you can get your authority for $300. There is no charge for the KYU. There is a small charge for the New Mexico and New York HUT. With the two states and filing fee you will spend less than $400. The 2290 costs $550/year, but is pro rated from July. I think that the discount is $43/month for every month after the due date as long as the truck was not on the road prior to July 1. Go to your local IRS office or to their website and you can get the exact cost on the 2290 form. There should not be a charge to set up an IFTA account and get your stickers. Base plate prices will vary from one state to another, but should run somewhere between $1,500-2,200 your first year. OOIDA will act as your registered agent at no charge if you join or are already a member. Annual membership is $45 unless you catch them at one of the truck shows or at the end of the year when the dues are $25. I always try to renew during the discount time. I could only speculate on insurance due to all the factors which enter into the rate calculations. I pay less than $5,000/truck. Some pay over $12,000. You will need to check withagents who write in your area to get a rate. I would expect your rate for a new carrier to be at least $8,000 your first year.

5. WCM

WCM Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2010
    columbus ohio
    That don't sound to terrible!! The 2290 I know about and have) as well as the IRP. Ins I have but nowhere near that amount.LOL. Im around $4,000 a year. All sounds pretty easy but I bet the hard part is getting your own loads since I never had to work on that end of it.. Knowing where to go or look for loads would be the hardest part for me- hashing out a fair price I could do with-out a problem- getting your money from whom ever would be another fear!!

6. freightrunner

freightrunner Heavy Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Georgia
    Im considering it because no one cares about you or your truck so i need my own authority but I know its going to be hard to find loads

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.