Stevens Transport

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by notch, Apr 30, 2007.

1. notch

notch Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Say About Stevens???????? I'm About To Sign A Contract So Any Info Would Really Help Me Out, Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. larryh31

larryh31 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Washington, DC 20032
    Positive? There Kenworth T2000's are nicer than the Freightliners and Internationals that a lot of other companies drive. You should get a steady amount of miles due to the fact that you can pull reefer loads as well as general frieght.

Negatives!! There pay is lower than most other companies. Even once you gain some expierence, you will still be getting paid less than most of the other drivers on the road. They like to keep you out on the road for 4 to 6 weeks at a time. So I hope that you are single with no kids at home.
    They train you team style. You won't have jake brakes or cruise control for around 6 months.

4. chrisp

chrisp Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2006
    After your initial school You drive with a trainer for about 5 weeks . Then its training teams(blind leading the blind = 2 students together)for 3 -4 more weeks. You will visit all zones including NYC. Then you are on your own. After 3 months you get your cruise switched on . Most loads are heavy, 75-80 gross. Unless its a marshmellow load out of Indiana. LOL After 6 months you get the Jake. You will get plenty of miles, that is when you are not sitting at IBP waiting for a load. The pay is lower.Start at .26 with raises every 3 months. .30 after 1 year. Out 5-7 weeks a stretch. Benefits are good. 50000 life ins and full medical dental for $38 a week .You can still make $$ cause they have lots of miles.
    Typical week may be. Pick up at rail yard in Ft Worth, take to St louis. IBP in MO . to Boston area, Yogurt in NH or Kraft in NY to Laredo. Many repowers. Laredo to Atlanta. You will go everywhere. Wal Mart DCs. Target DCs. Grocery DCs.
    They have drivers that have been there 20 years or more. If you want to be pampered don't go to Stevens. If you want to drive ...alot. Go to Stevens.

Bottom line is Trucking is work. If you don't want to work don't drive a truck.

Delirious Nomad Thanks this.
  5. groundcontrol

groundcontrol Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    I just got my brand spankin' new CDL yesterday,and am scheduled to go to orientation with Stevens in a couple of weeks. I have a few concerns about the "Dumb & Dumber" (2 newbies together) part of training.

It seems like there is lots of potential for conflict, both personal (who gets the top bunk, who drives which shift, etc) and operational (where and when to stop, trip planning, etc). When you are out with a trainer there is no question about who is in charge, but what about with another rookie? Does the company designate one person as the lead driver, or do they just throw you together and say "work it out between yourselves"?

What if you are paired up with someone who just won't pull his own weight? One driver could be performing well, but the team performance could be unacceptable due to the other guy. Is there any way to protect your reputation in this case? I would hate to start my solo driving with my dispatcher thinking that I can't get the job done.

6. yevgeniyv.1980

yevgeniyv.1980 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Poconos,PA
    Good luck with Stevens!!!!Keep us posted!

7. larryh31

larryh31 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Washington, DC 20032
    While you are staying in the motel for orientation, you should be mingling with you classmates. If you make friends with someone, you can agree to team up with that person for dumb and dumber later on. Likewise if you notice that someone is a slacker, then you will know who to avoid later on. BOL

8. Strngs012

Strngs012 Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Palm Coast, Fl
    Let me try and shed some light on this if I may. It has been my experience in the past when I ran team (for only a short time), that you will experience both daytime driving and nightime driving. Your also going to have to get used to the idea of sleeping in a moving vehicle rolling down the highway. If this is a concern for you then maybe you should consider another line of work. You really need to trust the guy driving while your sleeping, or at least trying to sleep. From what I've read about Stevens Transport there is no way to get around going out with another driver at first. As for the sleeping arrangements I can only imagine that you will have come up with a solution on your own for that one ie: flip a coin. Try to plan you meals when you stop for fuel or whenever you really need to stop. Remember your getting paid by the mile so the more time you waste sitting around the less your making. From what I've read you'll be sitting more often than not. Anyways good luck.

9. Hardtimes10430

Hardtimes10430 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Richmond Va
    If you plan on being a driver for Stevens Transport make sure you have life insurence before you go. I have worked for Stevens twice for a total of 6 yrs. I am a experenced driver with over 20 yrs in over the road trucking in fact Mitch Morre gave me my million mile patch.They have trainers at Stevens that have been driving less than 15 months. When you go out with another student for you 2nd part of training you dont have a clue what you are getting into. I have seen two students in the truck one in the jump seat and the other driving.Driver falls asleep crash both dead This company is dangerous If Bill Talent is still there that is another joke.That man has never been in a #### truck but he knows every thing about driving a truck there is and if you get in and accdent trust me its going to be your fault one way or another according to him.Guys there are a whole lot better companys than Stevens out there if you want to drive a truck. I not scared of any thing I write or say because its the truth.
    Larry Pollard

RECON08 Thanks this.
  10. maxpowers

maxpowers Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Can someone tell me the point of them not giving you cruise control and jake brake till you got some otr time? Seems like a dumb idea to me. My only driving experience comes from driving HETS in Iraq (which we really didnt need jakes cause the roads are pretty flat) but here in the states not having one could cause accidents.

11. Arthur1972

Arthur1972 Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    You don't need a Jake. Just choose a lower gear. What are you going to do on an icy road going down hill. Use the jake? I hope not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.