Stevens Transport

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by jthighfield, Jul 4, 2007.

1. jthighfield

jthighfield Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Any opinion on Stevens Transport?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trainee

trainee Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I have applied to a training school here in ST Louis and one of the companies that they recruit for is Stevens. I saw an add in the local paper that Stevens will pay 800 dollars a week for training after completion of training with Nu Way Traing school. I guess what i need to know is Stevens a good company to work for and what is their home time policy like, anyone know? The benefits seem to be the same with almost every company that I have checked into on the internet. Need advice, the recruiter that I talked with at the school keeps pushing for Werner and from the posts that I have seen here I am not interested in going that route.

4. groundcontrol

groundcontrol Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    I think that maybe you were misinformed. I finished training with Stevens Transport a few weeks ago. The pay for everyone in training is a flat 350 per week. The complete training period is a minimum of 10 weeks, for most people it is more like 11 weeks, simply due to the timing of getting back to Dallas to start the next phase of training (mine took nearly 12 weeks because my "dumb and dumber" partner had paperwork issues that held us up). After training the pay is .26/mile, so you won't even make $800 every week after training.
    As for home time, some of the worst in the industry. I was gone for the entire 12 weeks of training, and then they wanted to cut my "guaranteed" week off short by a couple of days. The guys who live near Dallas or Laredo manage to get home about once every 3 or 4 weeks, people who live in other states have to fight to get home every 5 weeks or so.

One positive note, they do train you well. When you finish their program you will be able to really drive a truck.

5. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I drove for them about 7 years ago (1998-2000). I guess I was lucky because I got through orientation, training, 2nd orientation and dumb and dumber right away. I didn't mind not being home as I was single and was living at home with my parents. I stayed out usually for 6 weeks at a time and came home for a week. In those days, starting pay was .22 a mile and when I quit, I was making .26 a mile. I was taking home nearly $700 a week and that's a good pay rate where I live. Back then it was a bit difficult to get home to the El Paso area because Stevens didn't run as much freight through this area as they do now. I didn't mind using their dropyard in El Paso to park the truck since I had no place to park the truck at my home and I wouldn't want to park a truck in my neighborhood anyways. The cost for paying for a space closer to home would have been more for the gas driving to El Paso and back.

We didn't have jakes on the trucks back then at all so I learned how to go down a hill the "old fashioned way". Other drivers asked how I could stand to drive a truck like that and I replied that I couldn't miss what I never had in the first place. I started working around the time they were starting to convert the fleet from T600's to T2000's. The truck I drove in the dumb and dumber team was one of their really old 60" modular Aerodyne sleepers, the one with the divider between cab and sleeper. They also had a bunch of single bunk 72" midroof Aerocab sleepers and I drove a couple of those, as well as two Aerocab double bunks before I got my T2000. That T2000 was a 68 mph truck and I had a ball with that one.:biggrin_25525:

Overall I was happy with my experience at Stevens and who knows, had it not been for my health problems I might still be there, probably as a contract driver.

pagan22 and scottccal Thank this.
  6. trainee

trainee Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Hey guys thanks for the info but i have completed training at nu-way and was prehired for TMC and willo be starting their training this week on the road. I have already done their 2 week orientation in Iowa. Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.

7. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Bellflower, Ca
    Could I please get some info on Stevens and why they do not hiring drivers with experience. Could someone please reply. Thanks.

8. Paddington

Paddington Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It's an insult to anyone's integrity to pull for those wages.
    I'd work two fast-food jobs before I hauled for Stevens.
    Jeeez...what a ####### joke!!!!

9. pentigram

pentigram Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm about to go to training for Stevens. I'm a little paranoid about it, but I think I'll be able to manage. Even if I bring home 600 once I start driving my own truck that will be a #### ton more than what I am getting paid now. I don't have my CDL yet, so I've been straining my brain to study as much as possible.:biggrin_2556:

10. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    Would you work for $500 a week ???

11. pentigram

pentigram Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Once again it would be better than what I'm making now working at a gas station. Right now I'm making 250 a week (on a good week)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.