Stevens Transport

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by trainee, Jul 10, 2007.

1. trainee

trainee Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I have applied to a training school here in ST Louis and one of the companies that they recruit for is Stevens. I saw an add in the local paper that Stevens will pay 800 dollars a week for training after completion of training with Nu Way Traing school. I guess what i need to know is Stevens a good company to work for and what is their home time policy like, anyone know? The benefits seem to be the same with almost every company that I have checked into on the internet. Need advice, the recruiter that I talked with at the school keeps pushing for Werner and from the posts that I have seen here I am not interested in going that route. Need a little help here, dont want to get screwed if you know what I mean.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    :biggrin_2558: You never here anything negative about Stevens really. They have good equipment and a tough training program. However, that is a good thing really. I do know that if you work for them you have to stay out at least 21 days at a wack. They are very strict about that.

4. DaveBrown

DaveBrown Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2007
    $800? its $350 a week before taxes and deductions. then it's .26/mile for the first six monthes. unless you live in Dallas you'll be out 4-5 weeks. stevens sucks. I only survive because I'm single with no kids. got my experience and getting out of here by the end of the summer.

5. nitecrawler

Jul 3, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    well trainee, sounds like Stevens may not be the way to go if you want to make money during training. The bottom line is this: They all suck. The training period is rough, but you have to just get through it no matter who you work for. I will tell you do not, do not go with Werner. They have the worst equipment out there and I have friends that trained with them and it was a nitemare. No matter who you train with you are going to run your ### off (run like a team) for very little money. We have a friend that trains for Covenant as much as I dislike that company, he is a good trainer. Let me know if you are interested.

6. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    Nitecrawler,

Which company do you represent? Just so long as didn't need to cross Suck Creek Mountain in a tractor trailor, you live in a dream area.

:biggrin_255:

7. nitecrawler

Jul 3, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    We live outside of Chattanooga, TN , leaving Covenant and going to work for Hogan August 15

8. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    Thanks Nitecrawler!

I'll definitely check both of those out.
    Couldn't think of anywhere better to live in the country :biggrin_25517:

9. nitecrawler

Jul 3, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, be prepared to not make much at first but after training if you get with a decent company you can make good $$

10. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    You've got the trend down, but don't think they are all the same. They are all different revenue-cost=net revenue functions. Then you have to add training cost, interest, and payback in there if applicable. You are desperate when you take on the burden of high percentage rates, and it will eventually bankrupt you in most cases. It should be against the law.

Unfortunately, trucking companies hardly give enough information to compare to other companies. So you have to talk to recruiters who can change their stories, so talk to them several times. One 'good' company first got me some lady that sounded like she was doing her nails and would rather not talk to me. Then the same 'good' company got me a diligent recruiter, but she asked for things beyond what was on the application and deeper than legally required. So come to find out later, there were other negative factors this 'good' company does not make clear in advertising. It will take weeks or months for all the companies figuring out all of their diffent insurance options you 'have' to take and finding take home pay. For most jobs, singles can multiply by 70%, but looks deeper in trucking and different for every one of them including marginal pay. Gross don't mean anything except lets you know how much tax burden you are carrying for the company. Do your math!!

So if one company Grosses $42K and Nets $35K compared to another Grosses $52K and Nets $25K, it highlights the Net is what you need to be concerned with: along with other factors of course.

In a way, kind of glad delayed a few months in going to school. It will take a while investigating not just net revenue, but many other factors. I think have one possible to start out with and another established company after a year or more. And when start driving, will need a wireless pc just to keep investigating since all you have time to do at home is collapse and get ready for the road again.

11. lostnjax

lostnjax Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I am a former stevens driver and pretty much what has been said is true. You will make $350/wk gross while out with a trainer for 5 weeks and also an add'l 3 weeks teaming with a classmate typically referred to as "dunb and dumber". After that you will go solo and make .26/mile for the next 90 days and an add'l penny every 2-3 months by the time you hit the one year mark you will be at .32/mi. Not the best pay but I will give them credit where credit is due. Absolutely, by far the best equipment, safety and training I have seen. They are very, very safety conscience. Miles....All you can run LEGALLY. Violate your 11 or 14 hr rule and you get shut down for 24 hours. For the first 3-6 months they are very strict on trip planning. most trips are 1200-1500 miles. You get paid as soon as you scan your trip through TransFlow (normally within 2 days). You are expected to stay out 5 weeks and home 7 days.
    You will haul mostly Tyson Foods, Kraft, and during the summer months you will do a lot of plant (nursery) loads out of CA hauling them to the Northeast (mostly Walmart stores).
    There is a lot of waiting involved on the meat loads but at least you are paid layover and detention pay.

You will most likely start out in a 2006 or newer Kenworth T2000 condo double bunk. Your truck for the first 6 months will be governed at 65 mph with no Jake (teaches you to properly shift in mountains if your jake goes out). No cruise your first 60 days. You will fuel at all the Major truckstops with the exception of Petro.

Free laundry at the yard (dallas,tx and laredo,tx)
    Courtesy car you can use while you are in dallas

I left them for better pay after I got my year experience in with them. I have had my gripes with them but overall I learned a lot there and can't really say anything bad about them. Never a problem with pay and never a problem with miles.........not too bad for a guy right outta school.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.