stevens work well test

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Big Dog 1, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Big Dog 1

Big Dog 1 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2009
    East Cleveland,Ohio
    What is the physical exam for stevens like

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Little John

Little John Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    In short, very thorough. Doc is very serious about it. Its not your typical "pokepoketurnyourheadcough*canyouhearthis*bloodpressurecheckandoutthedoor" if there is anything medical in your history at *all* you have to have a release from your GP. There was a guy in my OR1 class that had to get a release for a broken arm when he was like 10 or something. but they have good reason for it. I was on med hold for a day during orientation for my blood pressure being *1* point to high on the high part of it (stupid mnt dew)

good luck

4. Freightliner1101

Freightliner1101 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2009
    Denver, Co
    What about the test where you have to lift weights etc? What's involved in that test?? I'm a woman, and a very strong one at that. However, I don't know if I can lift 75 lbs. over my head. If you cannot do ANY aspect of the test, is it a deal breaker??
    Thx.

5. Little John

Little John Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I think there is a stress test involving weights if your heavy or already on BP meds. but, most of the guys i talked to didnt say anything about 75 lbs over the head. from what i understand it was "take the weights and move it from this shelf to this shelf and back again. and carry some stuff across the room and back". and if your heart didnt explode you were good to go.. :)

6. BabyMaker

BabyMaker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Inwood, WV
    How would they know about a broken arm when I was 10 if I didn't tell them?

7. boogdaddy

boogdaddy Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern California
    Yeah, I'm curious about an answer to this as well. Is it standard procedure for Stevens (or any company) to pull a complete medical history on a prospective employee? I have quite a bit of stuff on my med history, ie, back fusion, wrist surgery, etc. I am stronger now and better than ever with regard to my previous injuries, but now I'm scared I will get through the school and then be terminated only to have to pay back a worthless tuition loan. What gives? Do they pull a complete med history, or is it just the physical you have to pass?

8. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    When you go to take your DOT physical you have to fill out a medical history form. This form asks if you have ever had broken bones, high bp, & a bunch of other stuff. It is this form that will let them know of your past history.

I don't know whether any of your previous injuries would have an affect on Stevens decision to hire you or not. I would think that there would be some variables such as how long ago these injuries took place, their severity, & the information provided by the doctors upon your approval for the release of that information.

The ultimate decision would be up to the company and their medical office. If you plan on disclosing the information & being up front about it then I would make sure to go ahead and get all my ducks in a row. I would contact the docs that treated you and go ahead and see if you can get your records & you might want to even have your own personal doc that you see now give you a physical and get some kind of "clean bill of health" from him or her.

Ultimately all the company is looking for is to cover their you know what. They use this information to determine your risk factor. It's kinda like your credit score - the lower score the less likely it is for you to get a loan - same with your medical history, the more stuff on there & the more serious the trauma, the less likely you are to get a job. Companies spend countless amounts of money in work comp claims which is why so many of them started these "extra work step programs" or whatever they call them where they require you to lift weights, climb stairs, push or pull on things, etc.

It's all about liability and the companies are just trying to minimize it as much as possible. I wish you the best of luck either way. I'll close by just adding that if Stevens does reject you then it is highly possible that other big major carriers will do the same & they could list this on your DAC.

9. boogdaddy

boogdaddy Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern California
    Having started school there on Monday, I can now speak from my experience. I do not think there is a workwell test at Stevens per se. I had two previous back surgeries, both healed and I'm better than new. I had releases from my surgeon to do any work/lifting, including heavy. That was not good enough. I now have to do what is called an FCE-Functional Capacity Evaluation. It will be done by a certified physical/occupational therapist offsite. I have been told that I will have to lift 120 lbs. to various heights and shelves, plus roll a 600 lb barrel on it's end by maneuvering from the top rim. I was put on med hold on Tuesday and released from school. So, that said, I don't know if you have to do anything like a workwell test later in the class, but I seriously doubt it. They didn't mention anything like that during the first day when they went over the curriculum. If I were you, I would just call and ask what their requirements are, and if you have to do a workwell exam as part of class or orientation. As I said, up until the time I left Tuesday afternoon, nobody else got flagged and has to do it like I do. It is my belief they only require the FCE for those with a history of back problems/surgeries and those who are morbidly obese.

They do this just to cover their ###, as was mentioned by an earlier post. We had no women in our class, but I saw several smaller sized ladies in weeks 2 and 3, so whatever they require these ladies passed.

I hope that helps.

10. texaspics

texaspics Bobtail Member

May 11, 2009
    US
    boogdaddy,

So did you list everything on your application? or did they find out otherwise by scars during the exam? Just would like to find out I had back surgery back in 1978, I lift weight and run and have had no problem so I'm not sure if I'm going to list it. I do have a scar, but I was not sure what the exam is like. clothes or no clothes?

Thanks

11. texaspics

texaspics Bobtail Member

May 11, 2009
    US
    I start Stevens on Tuesday

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.