Still debating who to drive for

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gambosa, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    In the past I debated driving for Prime, CFI, Swift, or CRST. CRST wouldn't work for me & Prime said I can't drive for them (</3). Swift said I can drive for them if I can get an approved one year DOT physical, because of my arthritis. I am now also looking into Roehl and US Xpress. Swift, US Xpress, & Roehl are supposed to be among the best driving schools and programs in the country for new drivers. I am wondering how much any of you know about these other companies. Also, I am still debating the owner operator vs company driver aspect, largely because I do need medical insurance and prescription coverage. I have been told that owner operators generally make more weekly, but I know that would require me finding my own insurance and such. I welcome any advise from experienced or new drivers. Thank you all in advance :)

Oh, my new Swift recruiter has already sent me a link to study for the written exam & been extremely helpful compared to the others I had.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    There is a ton of information available on this site. Best advice I can give is to figure out a way to get your CDL without going through one of those programs and having to sign an employment contract with them. It happens too often, that drivers go through those programs and are locked into a contract. Just do your research and be smart about it.

4. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I'm trying to be smart about it. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of being able to attend school without going through one of those programs. I do realize contracts can be good, bad, or a mix or both. Thank you for your feedback. Appreciate it!

Dan.S and Omega1 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have had arthritis for decades. It's turning from a degenerative into a raging form of Rheumatoid which I am deathly afraid of actually. Just not confirmed that yet. Some of my tests are quite intense leaning that way.

I usually in my time walk into the dotor's office with a big sloshing Pilot truck stop 70 ounce coffee-mug, pretty much a gallon of the stuff. Cream and sugar. Aroma fills the whole office farm. Usually there is a pet cat or puppy quietly sleeping under a nurse's Desk. whoosie, off goes the lid clack clack clack splash it goes across the floor. The cat is all over that cream, vanilla and goodies sugar and all. Not to mention the caffeine. By the time I have proven my agility by profose aplogy getting under the small desks to retrieve the cap, big production of dusting it off and 7 nurses followng me to the assigned cube room sloshing coffee down the hall. Blood pressure shows ok. Makes them suspect machine is busted. They produce a second machine which is very similar. Alot of twittering like birds with very big suspecting. But a drug cup later filled to overflowing, splashing some into the mug which goes into a sink marked do not spill liquids down drain...

By that time the office is not exactly peaceful. The louder the storm gets among the staff who has quite had enough, the softer and more contrite I get in my profuse apologies designed to melt the heart of a vain senator who is fixing to commit me to the lions and tigers right quick.

I am shoved out of the front door with a stack of hasty signed forms and told to get my *&^ to the DMV now.

Why yes, thank you kindly etc etc etc "SAVE THAT BS, get off my property."

Any questions are generally absorbed to be recalled at a later day which is something the staffers are reluctant to deal with me 2 years hence.

Gambosa Thanks this.
  6. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Schneider is also a good choice. When I was debating OTR they were extremely helpful in the process.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Where are you located? @Chinatown can give you more options.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'll make it simple for you, because you are also another who overthinks all of this -

GO with the one who accepts your application FIRST.

Your choices are limited because you are limited with your skills.

As for your medical problems, if this prevents you from grasping or picking up heavy objects, look for other work.

AND forget the owner operator idea, you are grappling with this issue of who to work for, you will drown yourself with decision making if you go down the O/O route and end up failing.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Chinatown has not posted anything since the 6th. that is almost 2 weeks ago.

Dan.S and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Have you done your DOT Physical yet? You need to know if you can pass the DOT medical requirements so you can proceed with confidence.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    pick one and make the jump, all those companies are relatively the same..

Gambosa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.