Still waiting for a truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Avdriver, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Avdriver

Avdriver Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Salem
    I graduated from Schneider's experienced driver training last Friday. My DM told me to head home (47 miles away) and call in on Monday for my truck assignment. I have called him twice already and he says that they are having trouble finding an automatic truck. He says that I am being paid for my wait time but I do not see how that is possible. I really want to work for this company but I cannot just be sitting here every day and wait for them to find a truck. Any advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why wait for an auto? Get in a manual and hammer down.
    Also you should be calling 2-4 times a day, not 2 times a week.....

4. Avdriver

Avdriver Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Salem
    They made everyone in my graduating class sign a form that said we would only drive auto. We also had to agree that if anyone in the company tried to get us to drive manual we would refuse until and auto was available. I don't mind because I prefer auto.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well that blows. Go find a real job that doesn't limit you. Heck even if you did schooling via Schneider still go find a real job unless they set you up with an auto restriction on your license.
    At the end of the year you will likely be making more money even paying back that loan.

Also, why would you sign such a document? Was there a payment incentive to do so? I can't see why someone would voluntarily limit themself with no compensation.

buddyd157, kylefitzy, JReding and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Great advice!

buddyd157 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Avdriver

Avdriver Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Salem
    I did just hear back from them after calling the terminal manager. They said my medical did not clear until this morning. They said to report to work at 0900 on Monday (they originally said Friday but I have something going on that day that requires me to be home another weekend).

I am not restricted to drive an auto only. I just prefer auto. I also do have a degree in forensic psychology but trucking has always been the dream for me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Well sitting home for $25/hr waiting for an Auto tranny ain't too bad. You could always grab a stick shift and tell boss man it's an auto...he won't know, trust me !

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay, what am I missing here? Your company made every one in your class sign a form that said you would only drive auto? Made you? Seems to me that the drivers shouldn't have to agree or disagree to that because assigning equipment is already a company policy.
    And you had to agree not to drive a manual even if assigned one by the company?
    Most unusual.

10. Avdriver

Avdriver Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Salem
    Yes. One of my classmates was really frustrated with it because he wanted a manual. He signed it anyways.

11. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    What OC are you out of?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.