Stop pay for semi local flatbed job

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Roscopeco, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Roscopeco

Roscopeco Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Mcloud,OK.
    Hey guys, Lets see if I put this right. I got a local flatbed job delivering lumber but I go out of state for most of my deliveries. So I am payed by the miles I run and not by the hour like the city drivers or the guys who deliver within the state. I average between 2150 to 2,500 miles weekly, 5 days BUT I am not paid at all for my multiple stops within the day which can be 4 to 12 stops. Am not paid for all the work I do at the customers. I'm talking about like 1.75 to 3.75 hrs of on duty time within the day. Free labor? Would appreciate any feedback from other drivers with similar driving jobs and you are paid for your stops and how much. thnx, be safe.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Well, how are the local/city drivers paid? Do they get per-stop pay? Do they get load/unload pay? Is your mileage pay averaging near or above the local drivers hourly pay?
    Need more info.

MJ1657 and ramblingman Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    ^^^^^^
    1. Are you home every night? 500 miles is a whole lotta miles to be home every night.

Years ago, I had a Foodservice route. Leave Chattanooga Sunday night, go to Knoxville, grab a trailer, hit Montgomery, bay Minette, New Orleans, Baton Rouge and go home. 100% fingerprint. Got home Tuesday. Leave out Wednesday and do it all again, back home Friday. There was no stop pay, but I made mileage and $.15/case. Made $1200/week. Not bad, but it was work! Home 3 nights a week.

2. 1.75-3.75 hours working 4-12 stops. What exactly are you doing? Strapping an un strapping? Busy day.

3. How much do you make per week?

I started out local, delivering beer. Hard work, got paid by the case. The problem was, I was paid $,15/case, but if I had to pick up a case of beer, they'd charge me 50% of the wholesale cost. Well you get these greedy salesmen loading up a store with a big display and the dates go bad and by the end of the week, I had to pick up 20-40 cases of beer. Fine! I loaded the out dated beer in a pickup truck. Management got mad and demanded that I throw them in the dumpster. " Not happening Hoss. If I paid for them, they're going with me!" Work all week and won't even make $500. Get to the yard, do paperwork, turn the money and stuff in and get home at 11pm, but back up at 0400. Home every night, but so freakin what? By Saturday, I was so tired that I couldn't sleep. Just lie on a couch and shake. Would finally fall asleep Sunday noon.

Someone asked why is it that they always see local drivers sleeping over the steeringwheel. I would say because I didn't get to sleep when I was at home.

Dye Guardian, tsavory and Mudguppy Thank this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    After the 1st stop most drivers get 5 to 20 per stop depending on tarp and time?

6. Roscopeco

Jul 11, 2010
    Mcloud,OK.
    Thnx guys for your feedback. The local guys, city drivers or those who go to nearby towns are paid $16/ 16.25 an hr. for all their work,no stop pay. Their is only a handful of mileage drivers here the rest are paid by the hour. I average less most of the times as most days the mileage differs. Am home every day, at each stop I unstrap what material has to come off and if have to get stuff moved around then secure load. On days that it rains or snow have to tarp and have to mess with the tarp at just about at every stop,unbungee peel back tarp get stuff off then retarp. This can make for a long day, and what gets me I'm not getting paid for none of that. When I was OTR we normally had only 1 destination but if we had to make stops along the way it was $25. Tomorrow I have a 500 + mile day with 8 stops. At 40 cents a mile that's a $200 day so I guess they feel justified in not paying me for all the work I do at each stop. On a good week I take hone around $750 or so. Grossing just a little over 2,000 bI weeky at the best. The way I see it I should get paid for all the work I do not just the driving part, at least something. Hope this has been more informative and I appreciate all your comebacks, thnx n be safe.

7. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Well, have you tried saying any of this to management? What were the terms they gave you when you hired on? Has this been your route/assignment from the start? How long have you been there? Just IMO, but the longer you are there, and the longer you continue in this way, the harder it will be to convince them you should be getting more compensation...(ie- the bosses' response will probably be something like "Well, you've been doing it this way all along, why should you be paid more now?")

Be prepared to not be happy with the response you get, but you won't know if you don't try.....

Good luck.

8. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    I'd say at 40 cents a mile and no stop/tarp pay, you're getting royally screwed.

9. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    At your .40 per mile, it sounds like you are averaging about the same as the local drivers? (that would be my goal if I was the boss) If that's true... What makes you worth more?

10. Roscopeco

Jul 11, 2010
    Mcloud,OK.
    Thnx for reply mudguppy. No not yet,but like an old timer there told me when it comes to asking for a raise they will tell you to look elsewhere. Terms were 38 cents a mile with a raise after 90 review which I never got to almost a year later when I was going to walk and get back on the road,plus plenty of miles in which is not always the case but there is never a shortage of stops. Yes it has, I mostly get the Kansas run we are out of OKC but I also do Oklahoma runs. I have been here 1 yr. I talk to some other local drivers and some get paid for their duty times when at stops, which I get when I get a run with very low miles. What really got me all burned up about this was last week when I saw my paperwork for ne,t day run had 8 stops , come morning time they added 2 more stops for a total of 10 stops on a 425 mile run, I have done up to 12 on that run and a couple of times playing with the tarp virtually the whole day. One old timer here clears $1000 a week paid by the hr. Puts in 12 to 14 hr day, said he would quit if they try to put him on mileage which they did but he told them what he thought about that. I do get tarp pay $15but that don't cover it when you have to grapple with that thing stop after stop. They are not going to accommodate me as then they will have to accommodate the other few mileage drivers. Like one driver told them I get paid by the miles not all those stops you're trying to jam down my throat. It all boils down to what a man thinks he is worth. Life is about choices and it loops like I have one to make, don't have to settle for just anything. Later guys, precise the comments.

tsavory Thanks this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    That food service job was a decent gig. But then the company brought in some beancounters who decided that they pay their drivers too much. They added a stop in Macon,GA but cut my pay by $500/ week. Got my check, and realized the cut on a Thursday.On the way back home Friday, I got to talking with a flatbed driver that pulled for Osborn. I stopped into their office and put in an app. Since at that time, I had no flatbed experience, I agreed to work on the yard for a week, strapping and securing. Made it home, turned in my truck, started with Osborn the following Monday. Now it was OTR, but we would just go out of Gadsden and back, and I was home every weekend.

I've always been the type that if I agreed to do the job, I do the job. I'd stay on that job as long as our agreement stayed the same. If the truck was set at 70, it better stay at 70. Start cutting stuff and beancounting, I'm out. Now, I've never been one of those guys that'd have a hissy if I didn't make it home. Things happen, I understand that. Had a big snow and ice storm hit the southeast in 93 and a bunch of guys got stuck when the DOT shut the road down. There were drivers that quit because they didn't make it home. Pansies.
    Anyway, there's a reason why I always say to bring your A game whenever you play. Some guys when they become disgruntled start slacking. In our line of work, if you start slacking, something very bad happens. Improper load securement. Get one of those awards and you lose your Man Card and you get excommunicated from the Cool Kids. Load shifts, truck flips, people get hurt, lawyers come after you like angry hornets. You are ruined.
    Now, it's really hard to bring your A game when you feel that you are getting stiffed, so I would recommend you jump ship ASAP. Do you have your next gig lined up? If your record is clean, you should have zero problems getting another gig. You'd better crunch the numbers though to make sure that's green grass over yonder.

Dominick253, tsavory and MJ1657 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.