Stop Warning Motorists

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Rascally Road Warrior, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rascally Road Warrior

Rascally Road Warrior Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Titusville, FL
    No More Warning Drivers!
    Consider this the next time you feel the need to flash your lights or make an announcement over the CB radio warning other drivers of speed traps on the highways.

True Story
    Several years ago I lived in an poor neighborhood in Central New York. The apartment complex where I lived was just cattycorner and across the street from a bar where all the rowdies went and got inebriated. Even though my dwelling was on the bad side of town, it was only a couple of blocks from where I worked and it was the only thing I could afford at the time. It was also reasonably quiet and secured (to some extent) where the main door to the adjacent apartments was supposed to be always locked and only the residents had a key.

It was a Saturday night just past 10 pm and I headed to bed and fell fast to sleep. Around midnight I must have started to move around a bit in order to reclaim some mattress comfort. Just then someone put a knife to my throat and ordered me not to move or make a sound. Yeah, I didn't just awake from a nightmare - I was now living one.

In order for you to get a clearer understanding of what had occurred that evening, allow me to set the entire scene for you. Apparently from across the street where all the disorderly patrons were, the young lady (and I use that term loosely) who had lived on the first floor, had been flirting with some of the intoxicated gentlemen (again, a loosely used term here). This woman left the bar that night by herself and was followed home by a guy who had evil intentions. As this woman who was also a bit woozy, forgot to lock the main door to the outside. As this malice fellow stalked his victim, he witnessed her going through only the main entrance... from there it was simply a guessing game as to which apartment she may have disappeared into.

Once past the main entrance, he was drawn to my door and managed to shimmy past the standard doorknob lock. Once inside my apartment he went through a kitchen drawer and located a cooking knife. He then proceeded into the bedroom and found his way into my bed. Due to the fact that it was dark in the bedroom, I think he was somewhat surprised that it was a man that he awoke and not the woman he thought he had followed.

OK, so where were we... oh yeah, don't move or make a sound! The odd thing about that is, your life is already flashing before your eyes so, what the heck - move and make a lot of sound is the only prospect I could think of doing in order to stay alive, and a fight for survival pursued. The perpetrator got away with some broken bones and one stab wound to his lower ribs however, I wasn't so fortunate. My upper calf muscle had been sliced away from my leg and was falling out, my hands (both hands) and fingers were sliced open, and my other leg suffered several smaller stab wounds. I didn't have a phone at the time as this was back in 1976 (no cell phones) but because of some other neighbors who heard the commotion, they had found me laying in a pool of blood and called an ambulance. By the time I got to the hospital I lost several pints of blood and lost consciousness for a number of hours. After a few weeks of rehab and quite a few months of heeling, I was good as new again however, and even after I identified the villain, the authorities were still unable to find him. Apparently this crook lived on an Indian Reservation where he received medical attention and was able to reside there under the Chief's asylum. One year later the perpetrator was pulled over for speeding in a town outside the Reservation where he was identified and brought to justice.

Hundreds, if not thousands of child molesters and abductors, rapists and murders are captured every year by being pulled over for a simple traffic stop. Could it be possible that a few get away because someone heading in the opposite direction thought that they were helping out their fellow citizen by flashing their lights or making an announcement over the CB radio in order for that motorist to avoid a speeding ticket? Think about this next time you're tempted to help out your fellow motorist as to exactly who you are really helping out... and perhaps how many more people you could be placing in harms way by helping keep another criminal on the streets (at large) long enough to take another victim! Please, stop flashing your lights and warning others by radio... it may save yours or someone you love their life - literally!

Traffic stops regularly result in criminal arrests, drug interdiction, and criminal investigations. Some traffic stops are world renowned. For example, the Oklahoma City bombing suspect, Timothy McVeigh, was apprehended by an Oklahoma State Trooper while making a "routine" traffic stop. Serial murderer Ted Bundy, who killed over 22 women, and the Atlanta child killer, Wayne Williams, who killed 28, were also apprehended because of traffic stops. "Son of Sam," David Berkowitz, who killed 6 and wounded 7, was captured because of a parking ticket.

August 07
    Two Middle Eastern men stopped by a sheriff's deputy for speeding near Goose Creek, S.C., on Aug. 4 were charged with possession of a destructive device after a search of their vehicle turned up potential bomb-making materials.

Dona Ana County Sheriff's Department, New Mexico
    Sheriff's Deputy Kenneth Wooten initiated a traffic stop for speeding (86 mph in 65 mph zone). The violator, later identified as a convicted felon. Deputy Wooten called criminal investigators and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to assist. A search of the vehicle revealed several weapons with the serial numbers removed. The weapons were confiscated, and it was determined they were stolen during a burglary. Deputy Wooten's actions to issue a speeding ticket removed dangerous weapons from the hands of a convicted felon, thus possibly preventing further violent crimes from being committed

Colorado State Patrol
    Trooper Timothy Marnell stopped a vehicle for a speeding violation. The driver, who did not have any identification, was later identified as a wanted and extremely dangerous fugitive.The subject was looking for papers in the vehicle when Trooper Marnell noticed he was reaching under his jacket. Trooper Marnell felt he was in danger, drew his weapon and directed the occupant from the vehicle. Without backup, Marnell took the subject into custody. The subject was carrying a semi-automatic handgun in a shoulder holster under his jacket and two illegal knives. He had a sawed-off shotgun under a sleeping bag on the front seat of the vehicle. The subject was an escaped felon from a Utah correctional facility with convictions for murder, armed robbery, and attempted murder of a police officer. Trooper Marnell had no idea how this speeding violation would turn out when he decided to stop the vehicle. His initiative and attention to cues "beyond the ticket" resulted in a significant arrest and contributed to his own personal safety.

I know this story is long but, it is well worth everyone's safety and common sense so please pass this on and help save you and your family's life down the road!

Baack, dieselbear, starman32 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Yabbut ... what if you don't warn someone and they get stopped and it's a soccer mom and this is the only time she has ever been speeding (and even then it was only five over) and because the cops are busy with her they don't stop the serial killer that was speeding by (at eight over, no less).

What then?

:biggrin_25526:

4. Moose1944

Moose1944 Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Lonoke, Arkansas
    Point well-taken. However, if a bad guy really does not want to get caught, he should not be breaking any traffic laws to begin with.

5. miseryonwheels

miseryonwheels Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2008
    you make a very valid point and I had never thought of it that way.

congratulations. you made at least one person think.

LavenderTrucker Thanks this.
  6. Avenger29

Avenger29 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2008
    South Carolina
    I don't flash my lights unless there is a hazard ahead that the other driver should be warned about...debris in the road, vehicle broke down, etc...

LavenderTrucker Thanks this.
  7. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That is a great story
    And it makes sense

But because of the bad treatment by cops I warn when I can

Another way of looking at it is maybe if the cops wernt so busy busting little old ladies on the way to church they could be working on real crimes like the one you described

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  8. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Most Police like you to warn oncoming traffic. They want people to slow down, except in Loudoun Co VA where we met 4 in 10 mi tonite on RT 7 (runs from Leesburg to Winchester) On Co Mountie passed my wife doing over 100 MPH w/no em lights on and went past a State Cop siting in the comedian then turned his lights on and stopped womeone. I'm not sure that was at all necessary or legal.

9. Crotts Trucking

Crotts Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Duncan, AZ
    If they really, really dont wanna get caught, then they are cautious. The idiot drug runners and addicts around here (AZ) are to stupid to be careful. There is a guy here who murdered a freind of mine, got thrown in jail, escaped, then was found a week later by a simple traffic stop. I underlined week because we are so close to mexico, he could've been drinkin margaritas on the beach by then.

10. Truckers_Daughter

Truckers_Daughter Bobtail Member

May 6, 2009
    Florida
    Well I am with everyone else I think that if they don't want to get busted they would follow the law if they are too stupid to do that then they are too stupid to know your warning them of the police....I dont see how people running drugs get busted all the time I mean if you knew you had a butt load of drugs on you wouldnt you follow traffic laws anywho I believe in give a little get a little I always stop to allow trucks over when all other cars fly past them flash my lights to let them know its ok to go over stop the traffic in my lane to let them out do whatever I can do to help because I know how aggervating it is being a truck driver and hear my dad cussing about 4 wheelers all the time so I help hoping that it makes someones day a little easier and hopefully they will return the favor!

11. bigrigdriver229

bigrigdriver229 Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2008
    watervliet, ny
    Alot of times when you see drivers flash as stated above we warn of other broke down vech. or an accident so we can re route to avoid long sit times that run our clocks off so that four wheelers cant complain that we (the drivers) are running illegal. or if some other driver has his highbeams on we let them know that as well. there's more to US flashing our lights than you can be made aware of so remember that at times. And yes I'm saddened to hear about your circumstances with a criminal. but then again whats that got to do with TRUCK DRIVERS???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.