Stopped for a Level 1 inspection, printed a Level 2 report

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Jul 19, 2012.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

You keep an extra screw, bolt, nut and pop rivet for everything on the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    Not the big stuff such has a cracked frame lug or busted belt, just the lines and batteries. If I can't fix it or get it to where I can limp down the road, I won't move it. Saves money in the long run, even if you can't get the airline replaced for 6 weeks, at least you can move it.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I agree with you. You need a kit in the truck to get you down the road to get you off the road and safe place to fix it.

Unfortunately, with the new electronic engines, that is becoming harder.

Having a couple of quick splice kits for airlines and such to get you home is a great idea that every truck should have.

Even to go so far as a maxi can for the drives and the trailer.

5. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    That is why I leased this thing, it has a CAT with 600 horses. Plus, its something I could fix in my driveway. I don't want the wuss maxxforce bull, I'll keep this one even though its starting to show its time is up. Such has, its starting to roll coal between gears.

6. last 1

last 1 Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I'm talking about drivers that pencil whip things like a pre and post trip, you know the kind that don't even know what engine is under the hood, the ones that never have opened the hood, can't even tell you what color the engine even is. The drivers that crawl out of the bunk and never even get out of the truck and just hit the road. Most of the new bread drivers wouldn't know an S cam if it smacked them in the face let alone know how to adjust brakes. The mega fleets don't want them doing "anything" to the truck, so they think the maintenance for them stops at the door. I have seen alot of mega fleet drivers at a service counter wanting to get a PM or something and can not tell the service wrighter anything about the truck except the name of the company on the side of it and the number.I would say most DOT inspectors know a thing or 2 more about trucks than alot of drivers out there in this day and age, yes they don't know how often it uses oil, sure they don't know when the last time the truck was lubed but can get a good idea by looking at things. Yes maybe that officer was being lazy that day because it was raining and maybe he thought sense the driver and equipment just had a level 1 he would pencil whip another one to help out the safety score. I know I wouldn't mind getting a good level 1 one day than a pencil whipped one a few days later as long as it said I was good to go.

7. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

Been doing this for aslong as I have been with the company which is going on 6 years and never had a broken lug or a loose lug. Set the torque wrench put it on the lug and push on the wrench till it goes click and done.

The thing is that rust etc gets up behind the lug and eats away at the steel or aluminum which can cause a loose lug nut. It is excellerated when using to different metals IE steel lug nuts and aluminum wheels.

I don't get them retorqued every 1000 miles, it is usually in the range of 10,000 miles or so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.