Stopping at gyms along truck route

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by BBradUMA, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I haven't been teased this bad since...well,since I was at the drive-in movie with Lisa in 1976..:biggrin_2556:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. harrybottom

harrybottom Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Fitzgerald, Ga
  4. mr 379

mr 379 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2011
    hackleburg, al
    Hi, I have had to slow down some on my workouts since I started back driving I do make it to the gym some on the road. I was benching 450 when I started driving and I can still get pretty close to that now, I drive a step or detach so I carry a set of 60 lb dumbells with me for doing my curls and. Set of 180lb for bench and dumbell kickbacks/shrugs and shoulders, I use the back of the trailer for incline/decline presses. It can be done you just have to get creative. I do get some funny looks with the dumbells chained down on my trailer though.:biggrin_2554:

5. BBradUMA

BBradUMA Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Teaser: www.TruckerGyms.com

I've been working full-time on this project. More news coming soon. Real soon. :cool:

Know of any gyms in your area with large parking lots nearby? I'll pay you $! I am looking for fitness clubs with parking lots either attached or nearby that can fit a 53' rig. Wal-Mart plazas, shopping center plazas, and the like.

I'll send you a crisp $10 for each one you submit :biggrin_25514: with some digital photos. Send me five? I send you fifty bucks!

PM me for more info :biggrin_25525:

I am compiling a list for truckers.

(you must have a CDL to get the $)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

The link is bad.

I was wondering which fitness chain is best to join in the midwest. So far, I'm leaning towards anytime fitness, but I was told you join the one in your hometown and go for a month before you can visit other locations. Is this still correct? Are there better options. I've got to find a better hobby for my downtime than sitting in the driver's lounge watching football!

7. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    How about you do what you can in and around the truck ? get a stool for stair steppin, resistance band for crunches, situps push ups etc..... get a bike to tote behind the sleeper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAgKWRiFpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-MYPOFPII

8. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    I lost alot of weight just walking in the lot.I have seen drivers working out while waiting to be loaded.they kept a couple weights in their truck.

9. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

I've worked out in and on the truck before, it can be done. I once carried soloflex dumbbells and a bench. I would slide the bench out the side door on my sleeper. I could do pushups, dips, squats on the flatbed. I could jog anywhere. (I hate jogging).

Nothing is more effective, I think, than a real gym with real free weights and an elliptical machine for cardio. I'm also looking for a chance to get away from the truck as well. I lie to lift for an hour and ride a bike or run the ellipitical while catching up on news/weather. The eye candy is nice too. So is the hot tub and shower for relaxing.

I want the whole experience in a positive environment where truckers don't stare at me like I'm some kind of alien for working out. The negative attitudes are not very motivating for healthy habits in the trucking world.

10. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    i do too ! but in the real world.... getting to the elipical machine is difficult. But what i can do is simple stuff that can be done anywhere at anytime, since as a trucker being anywhere at anytime is a fact of life(style) as for others staring at you funny.... F'em they stare at you funny anyway ! :mconfused: And in America, people are monkey see- monkey do. if you park in the back by yourself someone will park next to you. Park nose in and some other monkey will too. And if you get a gut load of fried comfort at the buffet, guess what ? So if you are doing pushups, chin ups or something like that, someone else will too. And then you are helping others, by helping yourself.....:mcool:
    Cuz in the real world the next 10 minutes maybe be all you can count on despite plans that are laid out.
    PS i sure do miss the machines behind the row of jogging machines........
    Hel-lo Kitty :mrolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  11. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I wonder what happened to BBradUMA? For those who don't remember;about 11/2 years ago he was trying to put together a list of Big Truck accessible gyms around the country. And for that was receiving his share of flak for this from other folks here..

Imagine that..Think I'll send him a P.M. and see what he's doin.Thanx for digging up this ol thread-forgot all about it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.