Storage Units for truckers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Mar 31, 2020.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I have seen post asking about living in a truck full time and thought this may be an interesting option. I had a 10x30 at one point and without the replaceable junk that I would want to buy new anyways I was able to organize it neatly with everything easily accessible. And still had room for a car if I wanted. I would get a temperature controlled unit.

Park the rig, walk over to storage unit, jump in car and take off. Even with crashing at a hotel it’s likely cheaper than rent and your things are safer.

Look up other threads her on TTR for how to set up residency in a no state income tax and you are set.

Self Storage in TX, MO, and NV | Love's Storage Solutions

gentleroger and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The only issue with those is that if there is a hitch in the money each month to that main office, it will get auctioned off relatively quickly after a required notice in the newspaper before auction.

Those who buy storage units at auction intend to profit from whatever contents in it. A car would be a bonus. Title will go to them as they would own it. So thats not a good idea.

When we used them in the past its only temporary to store items we don't care about at that time. It would be nice to sort out the house space etc and stop renting storage. (Which we eventually did)

alds Thanks this.
  4. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I lost pretty much everything I owned when a major flood hit my storage unit about 25 years ago. Lesson learned, don’t rent a unit in a floodplain!

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I rented one for years. Depends on whether you need insurance, but a 53’ trailer parked in a lot might be cheaper. We pay $100 mo. I’m selling my old 53’ to a friend for $800. Hrs going to use it, instead of storage unit. A lot cheaper that way.

88228822 Thanks this.
  6. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Have a Storage unit,put it on auto pay. Had a Harly in it,, would park the truck and take off for a few days, some one broke in took the bike, Bonnetts ,riding gear, my goose hood ornament, I like the trailer idea, Van's are cheap,

7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Have had all my things in a storage for 12 years now. Pretty good place, flood free. Don't plan to buy a house yet. Hometime hotel is right across from it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.