Straight From TX DOT

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Kozakvod, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    A close friend who is a car hauler told me that he recently had a conversation with a friend of his who is a DOT officer (State Trooper) here in Texas. Somehow the conversation made it around to 3,4 and 5 car trailers being pull by 1 to 1-1/2 ton pickup trucks. Basically the Kaufman type trailers.

He said they are specifically targeting these types of rigs due to their brake systems. Further said if Texas had their preference they wouldn’t be allowed in the state at all, but seeing as they can’t keep them out, they will target them. My guess is this isn't just car haulers only but all carriers with these type of set ups. And are there any other states that are seeing this?

Makes me wonder how with the insurance rates these guys are seeing...why stay in business? Seems like so many things going against them.

ast26909 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Why exactly.? Because they have electric or EoH (electric over hydraulic) brakes? One issue I've heard is making sure to keep the break away battery charging & in good condition.

The 7k axles those trailers mostly have with the 12"x2" drum may be a tad wimpy when under a 5car. Upgrade to EoH disc may help?

My hotshot has 12k with EoH disc, & can lock up under any amount of weight they are rated to & then some when the boys inspect me. That's the biggest fail usually with these small trailers. During level 1 or 2, I'm usually asked to pull the break away lanyard, & pull against the trailer with the tractor. If you move your done for... Check that battery every morning, & keep a spare with you..

class8guy and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Smart drivers (those who can count their money) with those setups run toll roads to avoid DOT checks as far as I heard.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Smart except in Texas there are very few toll roads and Texas DOT have zero issues pulling you over on the road side, toll road or not. Many municipalities in the state have CVE departments now so it’s not only just State Troopers doing the inspections, it’s dedicated city and county enforcement units, sheriff departments, etc. Hell I’ve seen them doing inspections on the shoulder of I610 loop in Houston. Just never know where they’re going to be.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I’ve seen Louisiana and Alabama DOT target those car hauler setups at their respective scale houses.

Kozakvod Thanks this.
  7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Based on what I’ve seen going on at some of these scale houses they’ve been focusing on both brakes and load securement.

Kozakvod Thanks this.
  8. USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi

USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Mount Union, PA
    I have several check the break away during an inspection. Good advise to check each morning.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  9. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    A guy with a f150 and bumper tow 2 car asked me if dot hassles me much. I told him maybe 1 or 2 inspections a year. He said he'd had over 40 in the past year. Of course I doubted him so I looked up his dot number on Safer. He wasn't bsing. He had really good numbers but #### that's a lot of inspections. He told me he ran NJ to Michigan and back twice week.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  10. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    40 in a year..!! That's outright harassment in my book..

11. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    That’s New Jersey and Michigan for ya. Those states are just itching to find SOMETHING wrong!

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.