straight truck newbie

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by gcallow, Jun 27, 2018.

1. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Man that's a hustle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalLunatic

ProfessionalLunatic Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Bunnlevel
    It's how you turn a profit with one of these trucks. They don't make a lot of bulk money, but what they do make adds up fast as long as you're turning it out.

4. Maj86

Maj86 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    How do you get work from Amazon, usps and fedex as a straight truck owner and also some otr . This the kind of work I want i have a 26ft with liftgate. Do you suggest I get onto loadboard if I don't find enough local work.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    You have to understand something. You're coming in and asking your COMPETITION how to get customers. Let that sink in for a minute. Now, go find some work for your truck in your home city.

6. Maj86

Maj86 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I'm not competing with anyone on here. I'm just asking how to get work from the big carriers what are the approaches or do you just go to the shipping managers and ask for work.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Nobody is foolish enough to help a competitor potentially take food off their table. The fact you cannot see this proves you have zero business sense. As mentioned above, you're going to fail. You did no research before buying an expensive piece of equipment then you have the audacity to ask your competitors to help you get their business. Good luck, you're obviously going to need it!

8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I'd help him if I knew anything about that. I'm fairly certain his straight truck isn't gonna put Dayton Freight out of business before I retire.

9. Maj86

Maj86 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    What are you going on about. You've taken this out of proportion lol I have a contract already with forward air doing PandD grossing avg 2,300 a week so stop with your nonsense.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

That's a double sided coin though: you work for a large company and don't have a personal stake in their day to day sales and solicitations. If you were your own small carrier you would see a significant difference in the type of customers you would have and be making sales calls to.

11. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Right. I was meaning to reply to a guy ( @DSK333 ) who said he was stupid to ask for help from his "competitors." No matter how you slice it, his single straight truck is not a competitor to a company like mine with over half a billion dollars in yearly revenue.

He's going to be competing against other very small companies and owner-operators in his area, not massive companies like mine or other similar LTL companies where most of us in this forum work.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.