straight truck to tractor, gone full retard

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Mack Bigg 1331, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mack Bigg 1331

Mack Bigg 1331 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2017
    unknown
    alright laugh if you must it is all good. I can not find any threads on taking a straight truck that does not have a bed or a box on it and turning it into a tractor. I have read about Glider kits, i have read about turning tractors into flat beds or box trucks, but not the reverse.

The reason i want to find information on this is because i want an older Mack with a 200-218 wheel base straight truck no bed or box( They are cheaper) cut the excess off the back, place a fifth wheel and a sleeper. I just need a set of guide lines to follow so i don't F it up.

Thanks for letting me be the entertainment for the night.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Part of the reason ppl may not go that way is it would be specced very light to pull a 80k load and most likely would need to get the weight ratings changed somehow... if your doing it to save money I'd guess it would cost more in the end after you replumb air system redo back half wiring and many little things required.. if you were doing it for a toy hauler it's viable possibly

Mack Bigg 1331 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If you could find a straight truck with the right specs and that was already plumbed and wired to pull a pup trailer you're laughing. Hack off and taper the tailframe, bolt on a 5th wheel. Install lights, mudflaps and whatever else you want.

Mack Bigg 1331 and magoo68 Thank this.
  5. Mack Bigg 1331

Mack Bigg 1331 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2017
    unknown
    Okay so from what you two are saying, not a logical option. Here is what i want but can't find, a 70's to early 90's model Mack tractor with a sleeper. Now i can't find any with a sleeper, maybe i am just not looking in the right spot. Now i can find Mack tri-axle straight trucks for 3 grand, put 5-6 into it and have a decent running truck, may not look pretty but i was never about looks.

Second question for you, i will do my research on it as well, but what are the requirements for safety regulations for stretching the frame of a tractor to put it at 200-220in. I can find single cabs with short wheel base not enough room to put a sleeper on. Ill be running a flat bed with a headache rack if that makes a difference on anything.

Thank you for the answers again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.