Straights vs. Tractor and Pup

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Criminey Jade, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Did the small sleeper thing and won't go back. so I pulled my paper work from one of my trucks and it comes in wet at just over 18.5k lbs (that's the light one). Looking at a 32 foot trailer, five years old and the sale dweeb doesn't know the weight. I'm thinking maybe 10k at the most ... maybe??

Seeing thawk wants to haul 30/35k which is a good target, I can't see the under 55k thing happening.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUAD 40

QUAD 40 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    illinois
    my last tractor was a freightliner century, pretty much fleet spec. high roof, dbl bunk. roomy enough for me though. wt. was in the 17.5 range. If you were looking at frt. in the 30/35K range in a 32' trailer would you run a 3,4 or 5 axle rig?

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    An E unit, by definition, is a tractor and 53' trailer.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Ok so what are the expedite designations for different sized trucks? All I've ever driven had 18 wheels so that's an E unit? D would be a class B straight truck, what size box? C, and how much freight can it haul? B ? And so on and so forth?

6. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    C is a short straight/cube van; B is a van/sprinter; A isn't even used anymore... used to be a mini van.

7. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    You might be able to get away with 4 axles, which if I did it, I'd have one axle on the trailer. However, I like the idea of 5 axles. I like the flexibility it gives, in case I get freight that has to go a certain way; or if I do LTL, and a light load is in the first 12', and oil totes take up the rest of the space, or something like that.

8. QUAD 40

QUAD 40 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    illinois
    How about this for LTL: A 3 axle day cab, a 32' van, tandem axle with a lift gate.
    Pretty good setup for 250 mile radius local work. yes/no?

9. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    That would be a nice setup, yes. If your work doesn't end up being that heavy, you could go single axle tractor/trailer or both. You could, if you wanted to, get under the FET. But I just looked it up, and anything over 70,000 is only 550 bux, or therebouts. It's not worth it to me, to handcuff myself, for that low of a fee. Saving money for tires, OTOH, could persuade me, IF a small percentage of my freight is really heavy...

10. QUAD 40

QUAD 40 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    illinois
    OK here we go. I would go with a 5 axle setup. slider tandems on the trailer to offset the weight of a liftgate, and distribute weight. tandem tractor, sliding 5th wheel. seems to me with a short trailer, weight distribution would be critical. Then there are those pesky bridge laws to consider. Sound reasonable?

11. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    Liftgate doesn't weigh much. I don't know if they do sliders on something so short... or if you'd need them with 5 axles. It's less critical than with a 53'er, I would guess, since there isn't a wide gap without an axle under it... maybe 25'?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.