stranded driver??? legal???

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by amsn, Dec 16, 2013.

1. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    This is why it is important to stay tight with family.. In the end, they will be all you have. It's hard to find true friends, I have one.. He would come get me anytime, and anywhere. That's it though Sounds like you have a great, close family amsn...

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Never be without money or credit card when driving for a company.At a moments notice they could send you packen.Not right but its literally their way or the highway.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  4. amsn

amsn Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2009
    mississippi
    it was a small company... the guy got 5 or 6 trucks... I been working they're about 6 months got in a bind and had to take the first job I could I find. the truck was a 96 freightliner... so needless to say it was in bad shape. I been asking for tires for months truck has been in shop prob 2.5 we eks out of the last 2 months. no break down pay so I was already aggravated with him. so I was headed up 85 N.B out of Atlanta one of my drives blew took air line on trailer got over to the shoulder called him. first words out of his mouth if you would put some da## air in tire or slowed down the tire would been fine... and started yell at me so here where I messed up I told him that I would go deliver load and for him to reload me back home... so he sent tow truck out they drop me off at hotel and then he never answer phone again... call shop next morning mechanic told me that he came pick up the truck and left ....so he has all my and my wife stuff and refused to pay me when I got back to office and said he didn't have anything that belongs to me then called cops on me for tresspassing

5. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    WoW,,,,that is some straight up bull snot right there.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Unfortunately this is a problem in the industry and there are no worker laws protecting you. Basically because the moment you are terminated you are not an employee anymore. They don't make laws for former employees.

Any person with any human compassion wouldn't do something like this but there are all extremes out there. They'll have their day.

Your only hope is to talk with a lawyer and maybe a civil suit to recover your property and expenses.

Hopefully you learned a lesson about working for such people. Don't get yourself in a position where you are desperate.

The only recourse a driver has is to refuse to drive a truck if it fails your inspection. Then you are protected by OSHA if they retaliate against you. The moment you drive junk you are just as guilty.

7. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    what he said

8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    When i trained for tmc....If a trainee said "i quit" we had to drop him at the next truckstop or rest area since the insurance no longer covered him. No free ride home or to terminal. Now im sure if the trainee called tmc they might make some arrangements, but they wont be riding int he trainers truck.

But yea, they can leave you wearever. Most companies will have you drive the trucl tot he terminal though so they dont have to go get it.

9. Truckergirl0720

Truckergirl0720 Medium Load Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Here or there just depends
    Wow! With both of my former companies, if the company was terminating someone or needed them for a drug test from an accident they had us pick up 2 for drug test and one of us drove their truck with them in it. Another lady that totaled her truck they were terminating. We picked he'd up and dropped her in her hometown and another guy got busted for something and we had to transfer him and his truck and a few other times. As a team we came in handy for them abandoned trucks also!

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Thats the other side of the equation. I'd say there are more drivers that abandon trucks than there are drivers that are abandoned by their company. Or worse things like smuggling or bootlegging and the company has to jump through hoops to get the truck back. I hear people all the time talking about buying trucks and starting their own company. All it takes to sink a small fleet is one bonehead driver.
    When I was with Osborn, we had a driver get caught with an underage girl in his truck. He was returning from California, and wanted me to see his new girlfriend. She was nice looking. He thought it would be funny if the scale master saw the girl sitting shotgun naked. We had just crossed into Louisiana. They pulled them in and found out she was a runaway. I've never seen a driver in as much trouble as he was. Had the brother of a friend give a girl a ride, they got pulled in a border check and they found warrants on her. He got 5 years. I wouldn't want to imagine having someone drive a truck in my name and doing something stupid like that.

11. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    5 years for giving someone a ride, that HE didn't know had warrants? They got to prove he knew who she was and that she was a fugitive, unless of course he picked her up and she went into a convenience store, robbed it and got back into the truck. If he knows at that point and doesn't call the cops, he is guilty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted