strange thing happened to a truck i was driving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Dec 9, 2018.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    my normal truck, truck 84 developed a pin hole leak in a tire. i got back to the shop and a mechanic was on duty (not usually on a sunday but he was there). so i left my truck for him to plug the tire and i took truck 73. its an older T800 sleeper with a strong running cat. i drove all day, upon return to the yard, the check engine light, engine STOP light (flashing), and low coolant lights were all on. engine sounded normal, oil pressure and oil/coolant temp gauges all normal. i opened the hood and checked the coolant level, also appeared full (i didnt open the cap, hot engine). does anyone have any idea what happened? my guess would be a coolant level sensor failed, and it thought it was empty of coolant.

strange to see that behavior when all of the gauges were normal.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Probably time to reset the computer.
    Ya know... turn off and start again.
    Good ole Paccar...

Paddlewagon and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i did that. i wonder what the mechanic will find. i would guess a bad sensor since everything was reading normal. engine temp was 180-200

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    most likely a bad sensor, or the CAT, needed a nap.....

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i was actually surprised how strong that truck was running. under full throttle she had 50 psi of boost. most trucks i have driven max out at 40 psi. that truck pulls hard. truck also rode nice for 620K miles. that truck pulls allot better then the supposedly 500 hp paccar engine in truck 84. truck 84 is a nice truck but it seems to be just adequate in the power dept. if it were up to me, and i was the person responsible for purchasing trucks, i would be buying fritzgerld T800 glider kits with C15's, over the T880 with the paccar engine. the paccar engine also takes some getting used to as far as shifting goes also. it revs up allot faster then a cat and has a touchy fuel pedal. let off the fuel some get it out of gear, light touch on the throttle to bring revs up and downshift..... and i mean a light touch.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You have a bad ground,

SteveScott and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    it knew it wasn't your truck

Farmerbob1 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    How long did you drive it with the engine warning lights on?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    That was my first thought as well.

I just bought a brand new reefer. Fired it up the day I bought it and it worked like a charm. Left a few weeks ago to haul my first load and it wouldn't start. Just clicking like a dead battery. Jumped and it still wouldn't start, then it ran fine a while later. Then last week it died half way through a chilled beer load and I panicked when it wouldn't restart. Took it to a Thermo King dealer in Salt Lake City, and they said the cable to the main ground buss was only hand tight and it worked completely loose and making no connection. They said the dealer is supposed to run it for several hours before selling it, and mine had never been started before I bought it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.