straps straps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by ford06, Jul 26, 2017.

1. ford06

ford06 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2017
    been seeing all kinds of steel loads lately flat steel i beams dumpsters with scrap iron all with straps does anyone use chains anymore

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Of course, when they're needed or required. The loads youre describing neither need or reqire them provided you meet wll requirements and use proper edge protection. Having said that, I personally would use chains on I beams just for the added piece of mind.

4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Last load of Sheet pilings I carried weighed 46k. 2 stacks. Five 4" straps and two 3/8" chains across the top of each. Front of each stack had two chains X'd in front and another chain in the rear to keep everything nice and snug. I got a Level 1 at the Sacramento Scale. Inspector told me he wasn't even gonna bother adding all that up. lol

cnsper and RStewart Thank this.
  5. ford06

ford06 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2017
    nice

6. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Id say depends on the load. Little over a week ago i hauled painted i beams on a conestoga out of alabama. Two tier layer. They were stand up. One in the center and they layer the base of the i beam outward. Used straps on both layers and threw 4 chains in a horse shoe (front back on both tier) to box them in incase of a hard brake. Overkill i know but when you haul something new for the first time i'd rather be safe than sorry.

7. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I like the way you think. Good job on securing the load.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    To the OP's point though, I've been seeing more and more of what could only be described as laziness. Hopefully the only lives they potentially endanger will be their own.

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    There is a lot of that. I've been criticised on this site for my use of straps on loads that some prefer chains, but I do take the time to protect straps when I use them in places that need it. The company I work for hauls a good bit of steel decking, and I've seen so many loads leaving those places without adequate strap protection. Protecting those straps usually takes me a bit longer than strapping the load, and that takes longer than it could due to the number of belly straps used.

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    A strap is just as good as a chain so long as it's properly protected from abrasion or cutting.

The only load I know of in Canada that absolutely prohibits the use of straps is crushed cars.

As soon as you start pulling chains out at a powder-coating or stainless plant, and you'll feel what it's like to have a second #######.

DDlighttruck and kylefitzy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.