Student Driver Takes Out Power Lines

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Sep 8, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the lines can also sag from tree branches resting on them, like after a big rain storm.. i know, i have seen that before as well.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    In some jurisdictions the wires have to be at a minimum safe height to avoid situations like this.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  4. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    That is true in all jurisdictions. It doesn't mean the truck driver can't be cited for hitting them though. I haven't read anything saying if this was or wasn't a legal truck route.

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Had a friend driving for Overnite Transportation working local in Culpeper Va. He had a delivery for a business downtown. As he pulled up to the business, he pulled next to the curb, by doing so, he snagged a line, down came the pole with 2 transformers on it. One transformer crashed through the roof of the trailer the other one hit the roadway. The driver was told by Overnite, you can forget this, either the city of Culpeper, the power co. or the phone company is going to pay for this because all lines across a public highway must meet a certain height. On private property it is entirely upon the driver.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    NavigatorWife, okiedokie and tucker Thank this.
  6. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Just checked my road atlas. That area is about 2 blocks from Dixie State University. Closest designated truck routes are I-15,Utah Route 34 and Utah Route 18.

7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i always thought the minimum height of lines across roads, city, state, town, were supposed to be at 15 feet.

8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Let’s say Dixie State University orders a semi load of new bookcases and desks and other assorted office furniture....
    Are we suppose to drop it from the back of an airplane to get it to them?
    Crikes !! We’re all truck drivers and we can’t agree that it isn’t the truck drivers fault in any way.

I have never stopped in the road and got out and measured a utility line.
    Utility lines are like giant spiders and snakes.
    If they get hit...SO WHAT!!!

10. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Relax Tucker I just posted what I had observed from my road atlas. I’m sure the City of St. George may have designated roads for trucks needing to get in/out or around the city.

11. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    States, power companies, phone companies, cable companies and whoever else have lines or other objects stretched across roadways, they are all too "slack" in keeping them maintained so they can meet the required codes. While we are on this subject, it has always "bugged" me that warning signs such as low clearances are not really put in locations where a trucker can avoid the situation. Why wait 50 yards from a low underpass to warn drivers? By that time the driver is "caught" between a rock and a hard place. Low weight bridges, the same deal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.