Student Drivers Be Aware of Werner Scams

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by romil, Jul 16, 2008.

1. romil

romil Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm not saying that werner is a bad company for new drivers, but basically saying that you better have all of your information right and be ready for a looong strenuous training. Basically what happened is I submitted my application to werner and was approved, then I told the recruiter of my old suspensions on my New Jersey drivers license. ALso if you live in New Jersey drive extra safe. I never had accidents or anything but basic wrong turns and stuff got me points to where I would pay insurance surcharges. No matter if you move to another state the surcharges follow you if you miss a payment or late they suspend you till you pay. No back to what happened the Werner Robots I mean people said as long as you havent been suspended in 3 months you are good to go. So Im off to Atlanta on the grayhound telling my kids and wife goodbye. Then I end up going on the road training with a cool trainer who worked on a dedicated dollar general account. Which is a good paying job but real hard work you have to be ready to sweat and work work work. I didnt mind helping being I liked to do something to keep me from thinking of the long 6 weeks ahead away from home.:biggrin_25512: So after 1 week with this guy I get called back in to the terminal. to make it short they tell me theyre sending me home because I had suspensions over 5 Years AGO. But remember they say as long as it isnt in 3 MONTHS.:biggrin_2553: While IN training I spoke to people who were in training well over 6 weeks some about 3 months.. Some were basically living at the motel, and found jobs with the motel while living there waiting on a truck or another trainer to complete there training.:biggrin_25521:
    And when you train and your almost done and ready for that 500 bonus they wills send a message saying do 50 more hours your truck isnt ready. If you go home they will try to put you under suspension. Ive also seen fights because they throw you in a room with any kind of roomate, and wont care if yall dont get along. As for those with experience I think yall will get the most out of the company, being you dont have to train long, and you could become a trainer and make more money. Also students if you plan on doing OTR you will probably bring home about 500 a week, even if you do regional 500 a week. I spoke to all new drivers making 26 cents a mile,:biggrin_2554: if you cant do dedicated why bother.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    Sorry this had to happen to you. Werner tried to get everyone's foot in the door it is if you can stick it out or not is what matters to them

4. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    I wouldn't be crying about 26cpm -and like you said it's only $500 a week (and that's before taxes!!) I honestly don't know how these people make it on less than 30cpm If you can make 30+com after 6 months I would go for it -otherwise jump ship.

I am writing this while parked next to an overheating International Cat ProStar in 95deg heat. These new trucks seem to be overheating in the heat (mostly the newer Cats)

Had a Werner W900 accident in TN and had I40 backed up to Knox. Thursday 7:15am. A rollover in the 45 mph tights. I was only a mile back, and thankfully Kenworth still makes em tough. 2 women drivers.

5. Timtruck

Timtruck Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Werner wouldnt hire me 7 or so years ago when I started driving, because I had a misdemeanor some 20 years ago, but they did look me up several years later and ask me if I wanted to be a trainer--I told them, I wasnt good enough for you when I started driving, what makes you think Im good enough for you now? They couldnt answer.

6. romil

romil Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    That's crazy, I just wish they wouldve told me earlier before I took the bus all the way out to Atlanta, spent money, and waisted time. Right now I just have to find out who will accept me, Didnt know those surcharges would haunt me in the future. I know they are low on OTR drivers because no one wants to do it, mainly the students making 26 cents, but they try to lure you in, and after you do the 275 hours, they have you thinking youre on a list for dedicated, then they throw you on OTR. One thing I can say is I had a good trainer, I ditched the first one, because he said I couldnt use my cell phone at all in the truck, when I have kids and a wife back home that I touch basis with daily. But the new trainer was cool, he even put TV's in the truck over the weekend, plus he had a laptop and didnt mind sharing, and his truck was a new peterbuilt. He got lucky because the previous owner got in an accident. Right now Im working a temporary assignment driving a tractor trailer local, I wish I could do it for at least 90 days to help me out.

7. MountainMama

MountainMama Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Somewhere in CyberSpace
    Sorry to hear about what happened to you with Werner, but it doesn't surprise me. The almost exact same thing happened to my son right out of school. He went with Werner because he had a prior misdemeanor on his record from over 10 years ago plus a license suspension that was not quite 2 years old. He was honest with them and up front about it with the school, the recruiter, and the people at Werner during orientation. He made it through their orientation, got an employee number and was out one day with his trainer when he got called back to the terminal and terminated because of the suspension which they said needed to be 3 years old. They told him that they would rehire him in a year.

What a waste of his time and theirs!:biggrin_25512:

8. dianna

dianna Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I drove for Werner for about 8 months and the pay really is bad. I came in with 1 yrs experience and did not have to go out with a trainer, but I came in at 27 cpm and was still making 27 cpm when I left 8 months later. I had a big problem with the ac in my truck and tried on a number of occasions to get it fixed, but they never did fix it and were starting to get mad cause I kept putting it in the shop to get it fixed, I am out of FL and it is crazy to think that someone should drive in 90+ degree heat not to mention the humidity and NOT have any ac. I also got yelled at cause SOMEONE ELSE hit my trk while I was parked so I had to get my drivers side mirrors replaced, the guy that hit me had shattered both of the mirrors. That was when I decided it was time to leave.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They did almost the same thing (old misdemanor) to me when I was in driving school. I'd pretty much settled on them to start my career, was already pre-hired, but they gave me a call one day before graduation and said sorry.. I ended up at a much better company - a company I'm still with all these years later. Too bad for Werner...

10. red dog

red dog Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2007
    tucson az
    anyone ever hear of eagle of tucson they are running werner trialers

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Boxkicker, please post that question in the "Motor Carrier questions" section. It should have it's own thread.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.