Suddenly I'm an Insulin dependent diabetic... now what?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by lawsonott, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sorry you had to go through that. I have insulin-dependent diabetes and I drive, just had to get a federal exemption--it's a royal PITA btw. You won't be eligible to apply for a diabetes exemption to drive semi's until you've demonstrated stable control for a year, so you'll definitely have to find something else to do in the meantime.

To those saying you can get off insulin eventually, it depends on what type of diabetes you have. It sounds like @lawsonott was diagnosed with Type 1, which is fundamentally different from Type 2. I have read about the ketogenic diet and started to try it at one point. It can be extremely helpful for people with either type of diabetes, but people with Type 1 will most likely still have to take some insulin.

Here's a link to the Federal Diabetes Exemption Program:
    Driver Exemption Programs

Here's a link to the book I was reading about using the ketogenic diet to manage Type 1 diabetes:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ketogenic-Diet-Type-Diabetes-Complications/dp/194372105X

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Ok first off you don't become a type 1 diabetic you are born that way. The body produces no insulin. Type 2 is an onset of the disease with the body becoming insulin intolerant meaning it dose not use the insulin properly. Yes people with type 2 can become insulin defendant but not usually from the start. The op just found out he is diabetic i.e. An a ute onset of the disease. Normally insulin is given to get control and then oral meds are tried to maintain control. That being said, it's up to the op on how dedicated he is to fighting this disease it takes discipline. I have been a diabetic for 18 years. It runs in my family all the men have had it. On the onset I too was on insulin for about 2 months to gain control. My A1C was 12. After changing to oral meds and being vigilant I have brought it down to 5.8. I still have ups and downs as all diabetics do but being committed is a must.

SamZzz Thanks this.
  4. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sorry but that isn't true. I have Type 1 diabetes, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was a month shy of 11 years old. I'd been tested for it before but I didn't have it. The way type 1 diabetes works is that your body's immune system attacks the insulin-producing cells--you're not just born not producing insulin. I produced insulin my whole life until I was 10 and my immune system decided it didn't like me. Type 1 diabetics often have what is called the "honeymoon phase" during the first several months of diagnosis, when the body is still producing quite a bit of insulin. Over time the body pretty much completely stops producing insulin (this is actually currently being researched, as many diabetics still produce trace amounts of insulin decades after initial diagnosis).

I have no idea which one the OP has unless he tells us, since his diagnosis is pretty typical for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics.

Like I said, it just depends on which type he has. If he has type 2 everything you said is true and applies to him. If he has type 1, he can forget about completely getting off insulin injections.

Congrats on the low a1c btw man. I just had my endo appointment today and mine was 5.9

5. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Your right I did forget about the immune system attacking the pancreas and stopping the production of insulin. The point I was making is that a type 1 diabetic produces no insulin and a type 2 dose but the body dose not use it properly.

Pianoman Thanks this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'm no expert on anything. And I'm not healthy. Rather fluffy. But all my research about diet has led me to believe almost everything our body needs comes in plants. Look at the elephant when do they eat meat for protein? When do gorillas eat meat? I'd say they do not need it.
    Don't get me wrong I can eat lots of meat. I've even thought about ordering a t rex at Wendy's. But my point is meat is not meant to be eaten as much as much as we do. Add fruit in with vegetables and skip meat most of the time and we would all be better off.

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Butter makes your pants fall off... Look it up. Got all of my issues under control. It worked for me.

SamZzz and Irishtrucker Thank this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Dang the last time my pants fell off I did not know it until I saw all the people rolling on the ground laughing and pointing.

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I know it sounds silly, trust me on that, but it worked, I lost 50 pounds in a month, never hungry, BP went to normal, even had a cholesterol test done, it was perfect. Could not believe it, and I was never hungry either. ;-)

SamZzz and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I believe you, it is the fake food in the country that is killing people, we need the good fat to get the crap out of our system, the other evil is high fructose corn syrup.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Yep, you go in the grocery store, stick to the outer aisle... Watch the carb intake, heavy on natural fat, easy on the protein, and use just a few good supplements.

SamZzz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.