Suddenly I'm an Insulin dependent diabetic... now what?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by lawsonott, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    If say coconut oil is about the same results as butter. But it is plant derived. I have not tried this theory yet. But I would put it in my coffee when I try it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    I lost 40lbs whilst driving doing low carb higher healthy fat content and moderate protein, lost another 50lbs not driving. Went from 310 to 220 and eating like this you will not be hungry and the weight will fall off. Butter and coconut oil coffee is a good option for trucking . Luckily I was home weekends whilst driving so just did a crock pot of food for the week and put it in a cooler or truck fridge, microwave in truck or truck stop. Went from having to take naps to being full of energy in about 10 days. Health is good, ldl is high but not S high and that is probably genetic for me. If your looking to get healthy in the New Year this way of eating is doable in a truck. Anyone who wants links to good resources PM me. Slainte and Happy New Year

SamZzz and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  4. SamZzz

SamZzz Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2018
    No, Ketoacidosis can be lethal to people with diabetes. Diabetics who start a ketogenic diet are often able to stop insulin and go back to medication (which does not disqualify you). My husband was diagnosed four years ago... no insulin but plenty of meds. High A1C, Hypertension, bad cholesterol and triglycerides were insane. He kept taking more and more meds for 2 and a half years and it just kept getting worse.

June 2016 he did some research and decided to try keto. Within 6 months his doctor had dropped half his medications. His cholesterol/tris were going down. A1C was almost normal. A year after starting keto his A1C wasn't just out of the diabetic range, it was "perfect" <-- his doctor's word. He takes blood pressure medication still but his BP is a lot lower than it was.. and it's always been high on him. Cholesterol is in the 140 range. Triglycerides are normal. So the last 6 months he's been eating carbs again just staying away from sugar... and his labs are still looking great. From what we can see, 1.5 years on keto has basically cured him of diabetes and fixed his cholesterol issues. We still do labs twice a year to keep things in check and will go back to keto if anything changes.. it works.

The thing is, people see "ketosis" and confuse it with "ketoacidosis".. two different things entirely. Do your research before you start telling someone something is lethal... please. And get the terms straight.

Irishtrucker Thanks this.
  5. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Amen! Thanks for pointing this out.

6. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Ask your doctor about the new meds that are out, if you are not specifically insulin dependent you don't need a wavier, also lose weight and exercise.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.