Suggest what used daycab to buy

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ichudov, Mar 15, 2018.

1. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Find a riverboat captain and ask him if he needs a boat anchor. If he says yes, donate the Mercedes motor to him. Then get a used Detroit series 60 or a used n14, or any of the electronic cats 5ek, 2ws, 1lw, 6nz etc and swap it over. It will be less than buying a new used truck with unknown issues and very reliable.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm your huckleberry.
    2000 379 CAT C12 475/1650 Super 10 trans Just over 1MM
    I've had the truck 2 year, engine was rebuilt 2 years before I got. I am the 2nd owner and have all paperwork from previous owner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Super nice Peterbilt!!!

Bakerman Thanks this.
  5. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you don't like the super singles, I have the original Pete rims for duals on the rear.

6. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    How does it practically work out to own a truck with just one rear axle?

7. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    It is my local truck that I use for moving trailers and doing deliveries where I cannot get my sleeper truck into.
    It's registered for 60K gross.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The E-7’s hold up well. The E-6’s, while small, were without a doubt unkillable. :D

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  9. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm actually going to look at a old Mack with a E6 for a backup / training / punishment truck next week.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Put the right driver in it and he may want to keep it. :D

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  11. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    a couple answers:
    there's plenty of uses for a single-axle. The tandem axle gets you another 14K but weights a little more. The single axles are great in tight spots, and if you're running doubles you can still gross 80K with them anyway. Good for high cube, low weight loads. I use a T370 and it's a great truck for the city.

@Bakerman that's a nice setup.

anyhow,
    I do a lot of local short haul, low mileage work myself. I lean towards Paccar trucks (peterbilt/kenworth) because the small parts are simpler and easier for mechanics to diagnose. Internationals put computers in every possible corner and it can be expensive at a dealer to deal with seemingly minor electrical nonsense. I've not owned a freightliner but it's my understanding they're similar and they have hard to trouble-shoot harnesses. I've driven Macks but never owned one. So if I where going to look for another truck for yourself, yes an older pete/kw would be a good idea. Buy the maintenance not the miles. A well maintained high mileage truck is better than a neglected low mileage truck of the same vintage, generally speaking.

That all being said, I'd just fix the MB engine and keep the truck you already have if it's not driving you nuts with tiny repairs otherwise. I've never had one of those but my understanding is that it has one-head-per-cylinder and the head gasket repair price isn't crazy if you get the right mechanic. Again, I've never had one but I suspect they're decent engines in their own way and just have a bad rep stateside because of A) the mechanics B) north american long-haul is different than european long haul and there are different expectations.

my .02.

ichudov and Bakerman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.