Suggestions for rookie class b cdl holder getting in solid waste driver careers?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Honey nut, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Honey nut

Honey nut Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Hello all,

I am from southern. Ca area. I am seeking employment wanting to pursue a solid waste driving job. Specifically a side loader. But above all I am looking to get some behind the wheel time driving. Where or how does a rookie class b driver get started? I applied for all the ###### paying and not so ###### paying jobs listed on craigslist. I applied for all my local and city solid waste operator positions but feel not marketable due to just starting out. My ultimate goal would be to work for a city or county as their solid waste operator. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Hear from you all soon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check if Ferrellgas has anything in your area. It has nothing to do with waste but still good Class-B experience and is local.

4. Honey nut

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you sir, good thing I'm open to any opportunities that where I will gain valuable experience tanker, propane truck, etc. also I wanted to ask on the side not, on my cdl it says my endorsement are only passenger and tanker. I took my air brakes test and my cdl test vehicle had air brakes. Is it that the cdl just doesn't show I have air brakes? Or is it assumed since I do not have an air brake restriction?

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Air brakes is not an endorsement. It will only show as a restriction.

Honey nut Thanks this.
  6. Honey nut

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you Chinatown, how is the market in nevada for local, county waste disposal operator jobs?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Nevada looks pretty good.

Clean Harbors
    Republic Services
    PSC Environmental Services

Several companies hiring. Nevada is good because of no personal income tax. I like Las Vegas/Henderson for the average year round weather being good.

Couple of good websites to check are Indeed and Careerjet. Probably enter "waste truck driver" or something similar.

8. Honey nut

Mar 9, 2014
    I will apply for republic services. Do you feel a candidate with a 4 year college degree helps out in the waste, driving career field? . I'm just tired of the field and want to do something completely different field.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Not sure, but I would think your prior work experience and degree show you're motivated and follow through on goals. It took drive and determination to achieve what you've already done in your life, so I would show the same with a job interview in a driving field interview. There are 100's of drivers with degrees in many fields that have entered the transportation field because of layoffs or burnout. You will probably enjoy the physical activity in a drivers daily work.

10. Honey nut

Mar 9, 2014
    Anyone have insight on waste connections solid waste?

11. Rolloff Truck Driver

Rolloff Truck Driver Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Houston,Tx
    In order to get on with these solid waste companies you have to have at least 1 or 2 years of verifiable experience and you have to have the will to work a 12 hr shift and the will to smell unbearable odors . You could get started as a school bus driver for your local school district and they don't require you to have any experience since they train most of the bus drivers for free.

mikedadriva Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.