Suicide knobs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jlkklj777, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Suicide knobs are balls mounted to the steering wheel of a truck. My question is do you have 1 and why?

Anybody know why they are called "suicide knobs?"

I do not have 1 on my truck but I have seen many drivers with them. I can understand having them on a forklift or even a yard jockey truck but why on an otr truck?

The other thing I noticed is it seems these fellas with the knobs on the steering wheel then wear "fingerless gloves." I suspect this is to avoid getting blisters that may turn to calluses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Suicide knobs became popular on farm tractors with a tricycle front-end, a.k.a. a row crop tractor. The knob would allow you to turn the tractor at the end of a row very quickly. Row crop tractors are very unstable and have a habit of turning over when you turn too quickly, hence the name "suicide knob".

4. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    I was always under the impression that they were called suicide knobs because of you had a head on your chest or head would slam into it, but I really dont know. I think the fingerless glove this is because people that use the knobs are just too cool, since they spin I dont think blisters would be much of an issue

5. poppy

poppy "I Love that Cushaw Pie"

Jul 31, 2007
    ky
    they call them that because if you bump something with a front tire, pothole, blow a steer, ect. it will jerk that knob out of your hand, and make ya have an accident in your pants. if you ever drove an old dump truck then you know what sore knuckles are.

the knobs and gloves are for the drivers that have not learned better, or the new has not worn off of looking kewl.:biggrin_25513:

6. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    I did not want to influence any responses to this but here is what I was told by Instructors at the truck driving school I attended in 1992. Some of the old timers claimed it was dangerous to have them on a truck especially if you wear long sleeve shirts. The story was during a turn the cuff could catch in the knob and twist the fabric on your arm thus restricting that arms movement and possibly having a bad accident.

Never sure what to believe or what not to when listening to "trucker tales."

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    In my never humble opinion, they are dangerous.

They can nail you hard enough to break your wrist under the wrong conditions. The knobs themselves can actually come apart. Think how much fun you could have with that happening while you are using it to negotiate a curve coming down I-70 off MT Vernon Grade into Denver!

OBTW they are also against vehicle code in some states.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  8. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Thats what I was going to say.

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I've always heard them called "wrist breakers" and I've heard they are illegal. I have no proof, just what I've always heard.

10. tblount

tblount Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Tuscaloosa Al
    I love em.. just put your index finger on it and kick your feet up on the dashboard and lean back like you are in a rocking charir and keep on truckin ! Haha... Just kidding... I use two fingers!

11. Ohnoo

Ohnoo Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    CA
    You can get the same effect by pressing the palm of your hand flat against the rim of the steering wheel. Then just make a wiping motion to the right or left depending on which way you want to turn.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.