Sunglasses - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JustSonny, Nov 11, 2009.

1. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I won't be going over the road until next fall but right now I drive a school bus. I wear sunglasses but not good ones. I get smacked from time to time with a glare from the sun that blindsides me. I can't afford any more distractions than I already have with 40-60 little ones. I'd like to get some recommendations on really good sunglasses. Some of the ones I've researched are out of my budget. I wouldn't mind spending $100 or so if I knew I was getting a product that really worked in most/all situations. Who better to ask than professional drivers? Let me know!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    I use what I get at my eyeglass place for my prescription. I prefer the brown shade as it makes color look better and they are also polarized. I don't waste the money on that "anti glare" #### and the scratch resistant stuff as it is a waste of money. The brown works wonders in the snow and cuts the glare. I don't worry about the side #### on some of these old fogey glasses!! BUT I can NOT stand the skylight in freight liners! Darn sun shines down behind the glasses! Stupidest thing they could have ever put in a truck! A Skylight!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  4. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I've been a "4 eyes" for 20 years. Best thing for me is photo gray (auto darkening)glasses. However, I found one company that can do them in brown tinting. Rollover is right on the brown. I drive in WA state so I get a lot of roadmist, which the browns cut nicely.
    If I have to do without those, I use clip-ons with a flip up. Very handy driving mountains in the late afternoon.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida

I recommend Sarengeti sunglasses with the drivers lenses. I have tried numerous other types. However I can wear serengeti all day with very little eye fatigue. You can pick up a pair at Wallys World for around a hunge or on-line for even less. They come in various frame styles to match your taste. I like them because their lenses are glass and don't scratch as easy.
    Good luck and there will be some other opinions to follow from here no doubt.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  6. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    I just got my first pair of REAL Ray-Bans from my eye doc. Very light prescription for distance, and a little spot for close up reading (hence bi-focals). They fit great, are polarized and just dark enough. I'm hooked. I'm sure they cost more than usual since they are prescription, but worth it for me and I only paid copays for them.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Good morning Warpdrvr,
    I need to get my eyes examined pretty soon anyway so I'm gonna ask the eyeguy about prescription sunglasses. Thanks for the tip!
    Oldnewbiewannabe

8. anuuub

anuuub Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2009
    NC
    IMO.. the best place to get your lenses is at Costco.. plus many locations have an independent optometrist on site if you need your eyes checked..

The standard charge for lenses is a flat $50 and they include scratch and anti-glare for free.. and frames are from $40-50 and up.

I choose to have the Transition darkening system added for an extra 50..

all in all 150 with the frame i choose.. not bad considering same glasses quoted at some of the eyeglass chains for the same thing was gonna run me 300-400..

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I took the advice offered and bought some inexpensive sunglasses with brown tinting just to check out the improvement. Well, I'll be ######, works like a charm. Now I can go to the eyeguy with the rest of the advice I've gotten from you all and believe I've spent good money.
    Thanks!
    Oldnewbiegonnabe

10. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I reccomend...that you DONT use any sunglasses...for a seat cushion! ;-)
    Very uncomfortable and expensive!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Been there, done that! Good morning, my friend!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.