Super Mini Trailer Vs tri-axle roll-off truck

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Cyclesdalecummins07, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Cyclesdalecummins07

Cyclesdalecummins07 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la
    I have seen ads and videos on the super mini trailers for roll offs stating that they are better then a tri-axle roll off trucks. Is this true? Where I am at a tri-axle can carry 74k and a regular tractor trailer can carry 80k I dont see the benefit of a trailer truck over a straight truck the trailer truck may be able to carry a heavier load but its light weight is going to be higher then a straight truck. So the question I am asking is which would y'all buy if you had the chance to?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I would go with the straight truck, those trailers are heavy and in the end you would end up with right around the same payload.

We had a 40 ft benlee with an 04 379 exhd daycab and it weighed 47,000 lightweight with a box on.

my tri-axle 01 378 pete weighed 39,000 light with a box.

4. Cyclesdalecummins07

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la
    Thats what I was thinking the trailer was made by benlee and looked to be heavy. It seemed to be better to go with a straight truck because of the weight plus with a trailer thats just eight more tires to worry about gets flats on when you go into the dump and instead of just paying insurance on just a truck you now have to pay it on both so I still agree with just going with a staight truck.

5. Logan76

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Well with a straight truck your going to have a tag axle and tag tires wear out fast if you don't pick them up when your going around turns and by not picking them up you also are wearing out your steer tires.

Make sure you buy a really heavy duty straight truck for doing roll off work, especially if your hauling scrap metal or other potentially REALLY over loaded boxes.

What are you planning to haul with this roll off? what size boxes? just curious, I really enjoyed some aspects of the roll off work I used to do and hated other parts of it.

6. Cyclesdalecummins07

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la
    Im not looking to getting into it as of right now it would be if another storm hit New Orleans or the surrounding area again. I did debris removal and demos for FEMA after the storm and a roll off seemed like the best option to use to remove debris because i can drop one can in a drive way while I haul off another so that the trucks never stops. Also for during the first push back into the area i can load skid steers into the cans and haul them to and from sites instead of having to buy another truck or trailer to haul my machinery around. If I was going to buy a truck it would be a Pete with at least 46k rears and 18k steers with a drop axle under it. I would also have the pindle hook set up on the rear so I could pull at tilt deck or a pup trailer behind it.

7. Cyclesdalecummins07

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la
    The size cans I would use would be 30 yarders I think because I think 40s are to taller when they are stacked inside of one another

8. Logan76

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I heard that, I moved alot of stuff with a roll off flatbed, you may want to look into that. The roll off flatbed works good because you can roll it off then hook a chain to say a broke down dozer and use the trucks cable to pull it up onto your flatbed, chain it down then pull the flatbed back onto the truck.

9. Cyclesdalecummins07

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la
    I was first thinking about a self loader with the loader on the rear so that I can load both the truck and trailer also I could load other trucks with it but after the first push back into the area it doesn't have a use after the clean up is over so I wouldnt want to fork out 250k for a truck and after a year its not going to be used for a while.

10. Rolloff Truck Driver

Rolloff Truck Driver Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Houston,Tx
    I thought the roll off trailers were only used by scrap metal companies because they do have have roll off containers that are trailer length. I've seen Republic Services operate trailer roll offs to haul away 25 yd Gasket Dewatering Containers. Btw is sludge/sewage water more heavier to haul away than debris ?

11. Logan76

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Sludge is very heavy from what I hear, The scrap company I worked for had anything from 20yds to 80yds on their tractor trailers.

Rolloff Truck Driver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.