super singles Tire Opinions

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by wa6ems, Apr 17, 2022.

1. wa6ems

wa6ems Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    La Pine, Oregon
    Hey everyone
    I want to see what everybody's Opinions are on running supers on the truck. My company got bought out and now we are forced into driving theses Peterbilt's with super singles hauling hazmat. I think they are a pile of junk especially for driving in any snow or ice I used to drive a Mack with duals, and I feel like they performed and allowed actual traction. I also operate mostly in the PNW where we get a bunch of snow. These supers seem to slide all over I also just got back from Montana and out there I was driving on snow and ice and I #### near jacked knife the truck I slide though the stop sign almost into the ditch which when i drove the Mack in same situation I did not slide. I seriously thinking of quitting these company because of them tires and the fact when i said something to the higher ups they seem to not care they said to bad just deal with it.
    And also, I have noticed that every other company out here seem to be running dually tires I have not seen anyone else running supers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    They wouldn't let you quit?

4. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Personally I have no use for super singles
    My limited experience is the same not to mention you can’t get off the road on the other dual tire if you have a flat
    They do save weight and probably money if you spec the truck new with them

5. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    They have pluses and minuses. They have them where I work too, truck and trailer. Like every other change, you have to adapt. I've been running them for over a year on a Mack pinnacle in the north east and really haven't had any issues with them.
    Pros -
    They are light. Shaves off around 1,400 lbs my tare weight which makes me more money.

They handle curves better

They ride better

They're better on fuel

Cons -
    Traction can be bad depending on the tire. The ones on my assigned truck suck, snow or heavy rain. There's another tread they run that actually does pretty good

Chaining them sucks, chains will slide off if they're not perfect

There is no "limp it to the truck stop" when you get a flat. If it's totally blown you're losing a rim too

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Reason for edit: Left out info
  6. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    We had them at a company I worked for.I asked other drivers about them,driving in winter they lower the air to 95 or 100 psi.Try to keep 34k on the drives,load the trailers heavy on the front,60% on the front of the trailer,40% on the rear.I didn't like the tires or the trucks they had,so I moved on.

7. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I ran two winters with them predominantly in the northern half of the country with lots of west-east trips, so plenty of slick roads and mountains. I greatly prefer duals, but with caution, weather appropriate speeds, and chaining when necessary, they get the job done.

That said, I’ll never accept another job with them. It was one of several reasons I left.

8. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Adapt or move on.
    The Scandinavian countries are running only SS and single drives axles.
    If they can do it, you can do it too.

kwt600, alds and homeskillet Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    BOOM, you're screwed,,,I've "limped along" plenty with a blown tire with duals, and made it, SS, the fun stops where she let go.

10. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I’m an O/O and bought a new 2019 Peterbilt 579 off the lot that had them
    Ran 1.5 years and really had no issues but didn’t run I70 in Denver either, I did run in ice and snow pretty regularly though
    Spec’d a new 2021 and went back to duals. Just a personal thing
    Recently sold that truck and bought a 2019 again with a big bunk, I’m at around 360,000 miles now and it still has the factory Michelin SS tires on it and they’re still in good shape

I will replace them sometime before winter and due to the extra weight I already have with the bigger truck will probably get the same tires again for that reason

If I ran a lot of mountains and chains I would probably get duals for a few reasons bit for what I do they work fine

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I drove for a company that ran SS on truck and trailer for nearly 5 years. I never had much of a problem with them... Ran through WY twice a week, every week, year round for over 4 years. Only ever had to chain up 2 or three times. And I'm not the guy that stops just because the weather gets bad... It's got to be down right horrible to get me to stop.

Pushed snow with the front bumper, running barefoot, going over Toqwotee Pass more than a couple times...
    1108201445.jpg

My personal opinion... 90% of folks issues with SS are in thier head, or they do something to create a problem. If one spends the money to get GOOD high quality tires, they will perform on a nearly equal level with duals.

kwt600, alds, tscottme and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.