Super singles to doubles

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by RGVTrucker956, Jun 21, 2020.

1. RGVTrucker956

RGVTrucker956 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2016
    So I changed my super single tires on my trailer to doubles & they are a couple of inches sticking out from trailer. Anyone know what I have to do in order to fix this ? ‍♂️
    upload_2020-6-21_21-31-39.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-21_21-32-20.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I'm no trailer expert but I would say your hubs are offset specifically for singles. Most likely changing hubs would be needed. I would contact the trailer manufacturer. Might cost more than its worth, if its even possible.

Looks cool........but not legal.

stwik, Tb0n3, PE_T and 3 others Thank this.
  4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    You need narrower trailer axles, axles were designed for wide base wheels. Bummer.

Tb0n3, PE_T and Goodysnap Thank this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If its a 102in. wide trailer you may have to put the super singles back on till you can buy a set of the narrow axles from truck used parts yard?

Tb0n3 and PE_T Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

What made you change to duals? Just wondering. Lots of blowouts?

Bean Jr. and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  7. Trucker2211

Trucker2211 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Whoever came up with these super singles needs smacked up side their head! Those things are a death wish. Went from duals to super singles one time and had a mini heart attack during every single turn on interstate. They had a negative offset I guess and set inward 2-3” on both sides so I lost a ton of stability. Needless to say, they didn’t last very long on my rig.

ajax1337 and PE_T Thank this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Well, I must admit I want to switch to super singles for the weight savings mostly. I could have access to a few more loads if I can haul 1,000 more pounds, particularly in my case because I book my own loads. I also happen to already carry all the tools necessary to change tires. I’m sure there is a serious risk and initial investment of a few thousand dollars involved, but I’m hoping that if I do switch, I can recoup it all in a year, mostly from hauling loads that many cannot or don’t want to haul because of the weight.

As for the stability, I hear they do sell super single wheels with a 2-inch offset.

9. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    Cant put duels on some of the newer trailers the whole sider is wider

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'm not sure if we have 0" or 2" offset on our fleet... But I know that I havent ever had an issue with stability, I take some corners faster than alot of guys running duels.

We also use them for the weight savings... 400# per axle

alds and PE_T Thank this.
  11. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Put some rubber extensions around the top lip of trailer first , instead of changing everything out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.