Superior Carriers, 2 years in review

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Truemac, May 27, 2019.

1. Truemac

Truemac Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Thought I'd take a bit of time to share my little bit of experience with this company so far for anybody who might be interested.

To start off, I still consider myself fairly new at trucking. I got my CDL in 2014 through Prime's reefer division. I'd wanted to go into tankers from the start, but I wasn't a fan of how Prime ran their tanker operation at the time. I worked there for a couple years before I started looking for greener pastures. Superior Carriers offered me a job out of their Markham terminal and I've been here since 2017. So far I've found things favorable here. As with all companies your training experience will differ depending on the trainer you get, but I felt mine was very thorough. My trainer was very anal about details, but I realize you have to be in this field. I felt very confident when I was given my own truck.

Every terminal is a little different in terms of the kind of work available. The one I'm based out of has a lot of regional dedicated accounts so majority of the work is out-and-back. I rarely spend more than a few days sleeping in the truck, and they get me by the house for a 34 almost every weekend unless I ask to stay out longer. Pay is great, we're paid loaded and empty miles, as well as accessorials for just about everything. Hourly pay for any load under 125 miles. Really easy to gross 1500 a week and still be home often. You can do a lot better if you're willing to run system. I have a good working relationship with my dispatcher and I don't ever have any issues with the loads I'm given or helping him out with a run occasionally. I've also never had any issues with getting time off for whatever reason.

Fleet is phasing out all of their older trucks for an all-automatic fleet. Mack Anthems and International LTs. I had an older Pinnacle with a 10-spd that I loved, but was moved into a new LT last November. I'm skeptical of Internationals, but since this one was brand new from the factory I gave it a chance. Long story short, I'm not impressed. But they've already moved another driver into my old truck so I guess I'm stuck with this one. We use Qualcomm for e-logs, and the number of driving nannies depends on the age of your truck. No inward-facing cameras as of yet. I believe Superior is self-insured and that has something to do with it.
    Trailers are well-maintained for the most part. Depends on how well the drivers at your terminal are with reporting defects. Our terminal has a tank wash for most products, and we work with a couple within the city for the more caustic stuff.

My verdict is that the job is what you make of it. I've talked with drivers of other companies, and for the most part they all say Superior is definitely one of the better chemical tanker companies you can get on board with. I also see a lot of owner/operators pulling our trailers. I've put a lot of thought into going that route in the future myself. Interested in seeing what my future with this company will bring, but I have very few bad things to say about them at this point.
    20190203_083655web.jpg
    20190216_080308web.jpg

SurfBaker, Metallica88, ethos and 10 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilj

Lilj Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    I’ve been with superior 16 yrs, more good points than bad with this company, that’s all you can ask

4. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Excellent review! They are on the top of my list for my next company

rhouston24 Thanks this.
  5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Your probably the 1st superior driver who's not complaining about the Markham yard, Seem they all hate that place

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  6. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    I’ve been looking at Superior for the last few months as well along with a few other companies, as of right now I’d give the edge to Superior looking to relocate in the very near future and they’re at the top of the list

7. Truemac

Truemac Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Most of the freight out of here is with dedicated accounts in the city, so majority of our runs start and terminate at Markham. Great if you're based here and you like being home a few times throughout the week. Not so great if you're a system driver trying to get back home soon.

ncdriver1 and slim shady Thank this.
  8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Most of the guys based at Markham are happy. It's the system guys who get the scraps that complain.

I have been in a newer 100K miles International automatic for the last couple weeks. The transmission is not as good as the Mack. I hate the lane alerts because they remove the digital speed number from the display right when you need it hitting an exit. I actually like the forward radar because it gives you the speed of the vehicle in front of you. Still looking forward to getting back in my Mack. This week. It had some transmission work done. Reverse wasn't working right. Been at the dealer for 2 weeks.

Good thread. Welcome to the forum.

ethos and Truemac Thank this.
  9. Lilj

Lilj Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    I guess markham is only getting internationals from here on out, The markham terminal has at least 10 brand new internationals sitting on their yard!! I guess somebody has to drive them

scythe08 Thanks this.
  10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I was glad to get back in my Mack this week. Transmission is a lot better. Pulls better too. Ran the exact same load as last week. 9 minutes faster in the Mack verses International loaded through the mountains. Similar traffic.

ethos and speedyk Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The system is code for crap load..........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.