Superior Carriers Pay/Benefits Inquiry

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Birdman803, Jun 17, 2016.

1. TankerYanker965

TankerYanker965 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2014
    Albemarle, NC
    Greer is a good terminal. They have a lot of dedicated runs out of there. We're typically out about 7 - 10 days at a stretch

BFL123 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BFL123

BFL123 Light Load Member

May 27, 2012
    gaffney, sc
    What kind of dedicated? Is it out and back freight? Can you be home weekly if you choose? Whats an average pay per week if you dont mind me asking? You can pm me if thats better. Thank You for the help

4. TankerYanker965

May 3, 2014
    Albemarle, NC
    Every terminal has different dedicated loads. I've run a couple of the ones from Greer....most are out and back. You'll have to talk to the terminal manager if you're interested in being home weekly.....don't know about that as I've always been OTR. Also wouldn't know what being home weekly would pay. I'm usually out 7-10 days, unless I run a load to the west 5

BFL123 Thanks this.
  5. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Another consideration is the retirement 401k contribution. There is an employer match (I believe its capped at $1200 per year) and you get profit sharing (not 100% vested). My 401k went from 0 to $9,000 from January 2015 to May 2016 at a contribution of 5% on my end. I know of a few guys that are doing 20%+ contribution into their 401k for that early retirement. The profit sharing really adds up over time. Definitely not a bad place to work until you retire.

If you are running dedicated out-n-back you should be home at least once during the week. I doubt Greer has much dedicated to west coast which is the only thing that would keep you out longer than 5 days for an out-n-back.

Based on my experience your pay for running non-system should be $1,000 - $1400 per week, unless its slow freight (usually Jan - April will be slowest).

Birdman803 and BFL123 Thank this.
  6. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Chinatown, Birdman, I was talking to a rookie driver at the CTL terminal in W. Memphis a few days ago. He told me he started at $.31/mile. Drivers with 1 year start around $.36, I believe. That Canada pay at $15 for Superior is low. Also, CTL is a good company to work for, considering they're a truck company. Very little BS, and what the recruiter tells you actually resembles the reality in many cases. Unlike a lot of other carriers.;)

Birdman, I want to offer you a little advice based on searching truck companies for some time now, since I came back on the road 4 1/2 years ago. They'll off you a giddy number, like the $.51/mile Superior has on that paper. Then you go to Page 2, and that's for runs less than 100 miles or something. Beware the sliding scale. Take a hard look at what is inside the numbers, that's what I think. Best to you. Gotta start somewhere, right!

Birdman803 and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Superior is .51/.41 all miles, no sliding pay scale. As for Canada pay being low, never really mattered to me, Canadian roads drive just the same as US, and in some ways Canada is a lot better place to drive in. Especially the prairies. You're getting that pay to spend 10 minutes to cross an imaginary line. I took every Canadian load they offered me.

8. TankerYanker965

May 3, 2014
    Albemarle, NC
    Crossing into Canada, Superior drivers receive $50.....for what has never taken me longer than five minutes.

rhouston24 and Birdman803 Thank this.
  9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That is some of the lowest Tanker pay I have seen. That is Schnieder territory.

Superior is different in that they pay all company drivers the same mileage rate no matter how long they have been with the company. The only difference to that is hourly rates at a few terminals in Union heavy areas. They make a couple of dollars an hour more.

Once trained a driver right out of school will be paid the same rates as a 30 year veteran of the company. Like I said it's hard to beat right out of school without lucking into an LTL line haul your first year.

Birdman803 Thanks this.
  10. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Those CTL rates are lower than Schneider. I started fresh out of school at .33/mi and within a year I was up to .40/mi, at 18 months when I left at .425/mi.
    Now if they pay really well for accesory that can make up for the lower cpm. My thread in the Superior Forum my totals for 2015 running mostly system. I averaged .67/mi. The accessory pay really adds a lot to your paycheck.

11. zigstar

zigstar Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    CTL starts 45 cpm

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.