Supreme Court considers a trucking case.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowwy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    "In New Prime Inc. v. Oliveira, No. 17-340, the justices heard the case of Dominic Oliveira, a long-haul truck driver who filed a suit against the transportation outfit New Prime three years ago, alleging that the company failed to pay him minimum wage and at times even charged him for working."
    Does this sound like a lease/purchase?

"The case also raises questions about the use of the "independent contractor" designation to reduce pay and benefits for workers who perform essentially identical work as employees. On that front, the court's decision could have ramifications for virtually every sector of the economy."
    Hmm, thought the IRS test already settled that. It seems to be that if he is classified as an employee, his wage complaint goes through the courts. But if he is classified a contractor, he has to go through arbitration. Anyone else reading it different?

"But I think this would be the wrong way to bring about higher wages"
    There's a surprise.

3. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    that could hit the mega carriers fleece programs in the balls

jsnell, Lepton1 and 6wheeler Thank this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, he finally got his day in the big court.

jsnell and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Some lawyer could make quite a name for himself in this case putting a end to thievery by trucking companies.

jsnell and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You know what guys, YOU DO NOT want this to be decided on the side of the trucker.

If you have aspirations of working for small companies or start your own fleet, you won't like the outcome of a decision siding with the driver.

AND drivers will end up being screwed because the companies won't be offering some benefits and limit their liabilities with labor costs. talk about something that could give autonomous trucks a huge shove, this may do it.

AND megas are not going to be hurt by this, there is no way they would, but the small and medium fleets that are in the industry could be really screwed by this.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, reminds me of people demanding $15.00 an hour for minimum wage. They got what they want, now they make less because they no longer qualify for food stamps or other welfare benefits. Some demanded to go back to the old pay and the companies pay structure and the companies said, "We can't, the new minimum wage is law now."
    Many lost their jobs when the companies had to make adjustments to compensate for the $15.00 minimum wage law.
    Most, including me, don't fully understand how business works and how business owners must watch every penny in expenses.
    I've heard truck drivers say, "The owner drives an expensive car, so I know he can give us a pay raise." That statement shows, many don't understand how business must operate.

Czar_Zero, Feedman, 88 Alpha and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Translating to better rates for the independent owner ops hopefully.

jsnell and windsmith Thank this.
  9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Sounds like another sucker in a fleece. Probably had no money, junk credit, and no business fleecing a truck. I'm sure he signed a contract, stating the terms. I doubt a company such as Prime would not honor what is in the contract, given the success they seem to have leasing trucks.

Read it before you sign it! Or don't bother at all.

I hope the court sides with Prime on this. Maybe it would send a message to those considering a fleece to actually have some clue what they're signing up for.

shogun, gokiddogo, skellr and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Assuming he was in a L/P.....nobody forced him to sign it, so how can he go to court? And if he was dumb to think he was going to get rich being an “owner operator” paying for someone else’s truck he’s just dumb.

Czar_Zero, TripleSix and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If I was the judge, I'd ask him to bring the attorney to court that gave him the ok to sign such a lease.
    Of course, he would say, I didn't have an attorney to advise me; a guy at orientation said he takes home over $4000 a week and that was good enough for me.
    My wife is really angry because we already signed a deal for a timeshare condo on the beach in Hawaii and now can't pay for it. That was to be my retirement home in 5 years.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.