Surrendering health card?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by yb_colt, Aug 22, 2018.

1. yb_colt

yb_colt Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2018
    I will start off and say I have never driven over the road. I have been a diesel tech in the O&G, mining and construction fields for the past 25 years. I have always kept a clean and insureable driving record to maintain a CDL. Possibly as a backup if something like this happened.

So I have run into some health problems that remove me from the workforce in my line of work.
    Lung issues from years of working around dust, exhaust, chemicals have taken hold. At 45 and have never smoked a cigarette in my life it has hit me pretty hard.
    I’m scripted 3 liters of O2 in the day and 2 liters at night. Hypoxia, syncope and pulmonary hypertension are the concerning factors.

I can hike a 5k in the hills at a 15 min mile pace with supplement O2. It’s a great struggle to even finish without.
    Can you maintain a health card in my situation?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    As long as you can pass the physical, you’re good.

4. foggy

foggy Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Don't know of any drivers using oxygen while driving...just have to ask a safety man or dot doc.

5. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Let the Dr figure it out. The Regs are vague. They state “Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of a respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with his/her ability to control and drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;”

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You generally are disqualified from driving a 18 wheeler when on oxygen. Generally if you need it to exist in life and do things not in bed sick, you are sicker than most people who maintain saturation without oxygen.

You will be challenged with a Pulmonary Function Test without Oxygen and have to pass it.

In industrial minerals such as limestone powder and others are inside my own lungs with verified damage in places. It's enough to prevent me from continuing on with bulk tanking which was a source of that trouble over the years. However I have other issues and am not prescribed oxygen yet. Not that sick.

Can a driver on oxygen therapy be qualified to drive in interstate commerce?

7. yb_colt

yb_colt Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Thanks for the responses. I’m going to make contact with the doctor that signed my health card and see what he advises.
    I know I can pass the physical.

8. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Did you ever sign anything that says you are legally obligated to surrender the health card under such and such circumstances? This is bureaucracy in action, and it is simple. If it's not explicitly stated in the black and white text from the health card application (what is this, DOT long form?), it is not applicable. Nobody makes these decisions based on what they thought the right thing to do was. Follow the directions on the long form exactly.

9. yb_colt

yb_colt Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2018
    I could be way off. I was under the impression that it was my job to make sure that everything was in order prior to me turning the key and leaving the employers property. If I know that I have occupational lung dieses and I get out on the road and have a medical incident related to my health condition that possibly injures someone I could be held accountable both civilly as well as criminally.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.