Surviving Cold Weather Without Idling or APU?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Feb 18, 2019.

1. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Trucks use to have vents in the cab as well as the sleeper. Many things have changed over the years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    if you use a kerosene heat er you will have to keep window open anyways because it will Cook you

PE_T and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    And one night the wind shifted. One night the wick broke. Etc.

It’s not the truck per se.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  5. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    Don't know if kerosene exhaust is deadlier than isobutane, but I have done a lot of cooking with a camp stove and isobutane fuel in the cab and no problems with oxygen scarcity or brain damage yet. The first time I used it I kept the vents open and was ready to hold my last breath to scramble out of the cab if it started becoming involuntary nap time, but it never happened. After the initial precautionary run I didn't even bother to crack the windows. There are enough holes in the cab floor under the bunk for all the inverter and Tripac wiring to let plenty of updraft in. But it doesn't put off any smoke or exhaust at all, even on flamethrower mode, can't even smell anything.

No way I'd leave an open flame going for warmth though, I would keep my hand on that can the whole 20 minutes it was cooking, no room for oops in a truck that costs as much as a suburban castle.

I heard somewhere that one single candle in a vehicle is enough warmth to keep you alive if you get stranded.

6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Well, I didn’t have enough time yesterday to post that most Thermo King APUs when installed will come with a heater that is not a Thermo King brand. In fact, Thermo King doesn’t appear to sell their own heater for their APUs. They typically use what appears to be a German product called Eberspacher, or some people just call it by its model name: Airtronic heater.

The way my APU was set up, the A/C and the heater are controlled by one control panel. The newer setups I have seen come with two control panels; one for the A/C and the other for the heater. It’s actually better that way because at the moment I cannot use my heater since my APU has a fault code. They probably made it this way so my heater wouldn’t drain my batteries, but with today’s technology the truck can stop the heater or any device from using anymore power if the batteries are low. My 2014 Freightliner works this way. My indoor truck lights will automatically turn off when the batteries are low.

Attached Files:

7. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    That’s what I have. It’s been great so far.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Maybe wearing flip flops, dirty gym shorts and dirty tank tops might not be a good idea to wear in the winter?
    Just asking for a friend.

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    of course you never notice brain damage yourself and its quite embarrassing to ask loved ones

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  10. chickentanker

chickentanker Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Back in the 70's, a buddy of mine drove an old 60's Triumph TR4. Had the clear vinyl windows. In winter he put a white gas, catalytic heater in the passenger seat. One cold morning he went out early and started the car and the heater, went back inside. Got sidetracked and came out over an hour later, the heater had melted the vinyl windows. Was near to catching fire. I think he got rid of it after that..

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    loved those old British cars. a buddy had a Sunbeam Alpine. the "Get Smart" car.

I used to ride the old British bikes, Triumph and Bsa's.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.