Swift Class Action Suit

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Cybergal, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Court Green-Lights Swift Trucking Class Action

8/12/08

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    If they win this lawsuit in court. This will be a big win for ALL lease contractors. This will open the door for many more lawsuits in the future.

4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    This could have serious repercussions in the entire industry. The majority of companies uses "Map" miles rather than actual miles driven. Very few run on hub miles. Swift's guy says that they lose 6%, I think that's low - it usually works out to be more like 10%. That adds up. This particular case relates to lease operators, but Like rookietrucker says, it opens the door for more in the future.

5. CANGST

CANGST Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Oxnard, CA
    In these days how hard it is it to mapquest it. The old Household movers guide miles is way outdated. I bet they bill at real miles though. When I was with Swift it was almost always consistantly 10%. Funny how it was never 10% in my favor.

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I had a company that paid no miles when you delivered and then picked up a load in the same city. Consider Chicago. You could easily put on 35 miles from each side.

I think this needs to be addressed in full.

7. CANGST

CANGST Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Oxnard, CA
    Oh yeah that is rediculous. I remember one time in Chicago it took me 3 hours to drive 10 miles. Thats rediculous to do that for free. You know they billed it for more than that though.

8. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    've been wondering how long it would take someone to fight the "short mile" system in court. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, and how it affects the rest of us out here.

9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    My hubby's truck has done almost 62,000 miles since he got in it, but he's only around 51,000 that he's getting paid for. How does that work? That's around $3,000 that he didn't get for miles he has driven over the last 6 months.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    What is worse in my opinion is the out of route miles issue.

They pay for shortest route and expect the driver to drive the fastest route, then complain about additional miles.

11. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Especially when the route they give you takes you on 'Scenic Byways' in the mountains. My hubby's company routed him on one of those on the trip he's on right now. He stuck with the interstate instead. It probably added about 20 miles to his trip staying with the interstate, and he's safer too.

The one I love is where they put you on US highways rather than the interstate, and wonder why it takes you so much longer to get someplace - US highway, small downs dotted along them, more stop lights, more time! But I'm being logical, and we all know business and logic don't mix!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.