Swift driver leader pushes drivers in inclement weather

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MYSTYKRACER, Dec 4, 2019.

1. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Just curious what folks think about this incident that apparently happened at Swift over the weekend w/ one of their driver leaders telling folks they need to chain up and drive at 5 mph if they have too!

Swift confirms driver leader instructed truckers to drive in inclement weather - FreightWaves

I get that driving in bad weather is part of the job, but it seems like in this instance even upper management thought this was a bad idea ( although it doesn't appear that they fired this person ). Keep in mind, while it is a driver's job to drive even in less than ideal conditions, just b/c you may be chained up and doing the right thing doesn't mean someone else who doesn't know what they're doing won't slam into you just b/c you're out on the road at the wrong place and time instead of parked someplace. Seems to me me this person could have put a lot of people at risk as well as risking untold amounts of damage to equipment and freight.

Trucker61016, bzinger and bryan21384 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
  4. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    It is your life and your license. YOU are the one who decides when it is safe.

5. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Team leader was probably coached to never leave a message when pushing a driver into something dangerous, it should all be done over the phone.

6. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    WTF? The guy probably shouldn't be fired but reprimanded and put on a probation.

My company doesn't push us to drive in bad weather. They prefer us to try it might not be as bad as it looks but they stay happy if we attempt. They do not tolerate driving while tired. I've seen a driver shut down for the night because he mentioned he was a little tired. Two years ago one of our drivers got hit head on by another truck. The other guy had fallen asleep behind the wheel and crossed the median. I've seen our VP, tearing up, yell at a guy for working while tired.

Not all companies are like these megas

7. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    I'd be curious to hear from someone actually working at Swift just how this is playing out inside the company???

Lepton1 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. Pete jockey

Pete jockey Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    North of Pittsburgh Pa
    Sounds like bully tactics. Guy should be fired.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    NEVER under any circumstances discuss operations instructions over the phone. MAKE the other person use the QC so there is a record. Another thing, there are too many carriers almost begging for drivers. Stop worrying about poisoned DAC reports against you. REFUSE to operate a truck when doing so is dangerous OR above your comfort level or skills. In my career, I have lost count of the number of drivers a carrier tossed under the bus over these issues. Speaking of DAC, as a driver, your biggest problems with DAC are going to come if you allow yourself to be intimidated into operating and an accident/incident happens and the carrier tosses you under the bus. I have spoken to many safety critters about this. If you have a bad DAC entry, they much rather it be for something like insubordination by refusing to operate than a bad accident and major loss of life/equipment or a load because you did operate. Trust me, you let someone bully you into operating they will be nowhere to be found when the doo-doo hits the fan later!

10. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.