Swift has driver arrested.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Owner's Operator, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    I ran across this on www.ripoffreport.com. A Swift driver was minding his own business and kicking back a few beers before shutting down for the night and someone wanted to be a hero and report it to Swift. Swift turned around and called the police who arrested him and basically ruined his life.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/287/RipOff0287403.htm

Granted I've never done this, who am I to condemn another driver for doing it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
    Baack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    What did he expect Swift to do? Give him a freakin' MEDAL or something???

My buddy drinks very modestly... and doesn't even touch the stuff within 24 hours of driving. And there's NO WAY you'd find any alcoholic beverage on his truck.

Common sense just isn't so common anymore, eh? :biggrin_25513:

4. Owner's Operator

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Another thing I want to know, is how someone could get a DUI if he wasn't even driving?

There is nothing worse than a snitch, the guy was freaking sleeping in his sleeper.

Aamcotrans, diesel drinker and rachi Thank this.
  5. Owner's Operator

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    How about talking to him about it via qualcomm or when he made it back to the terminal?

6. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    That's funny.....he only drank 8 beers.:biggrin_2551:

I'm glad he's not out there anymore.

BackwoodsGA and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  7. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    That's what hotels are for! :biggrin_25525: Keep it out of the truck and you'll be fine. Swift's official policy is no driving until a minimum of twelve hours after consuming your last drink.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

Just guessing here. I bet the cops knocked on the drivers side door. And he jumped in the seat like a dummy, to see what they wanted.

In drivers seat...keys in ignition.... equals DUI

It doesn't matter if it was running or not. It doesn't matter that it was parked. Or at least, that's the law here.

okiedokie, BackwoodsGA, flood and 6 others Thank this.
  9. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    In a four wheeler all you have to do is be drunk in a vehicle with access to the keys, even if they are not in the ignition
    The reasoning is, in a drunken mind set you could wake up and drive
    Cops love to look for drunks sleeping in their cars out side of bars

10. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Swifts policy is if you have been drinking they dont want you anywhere near the truck even if you are in the sleeper berth, get a hotel thats what they are for. You shouldnt be drinking when out on the road unless you have 24 hours to sit just no need for it out on the road.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  11. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    I have a friend who was drinking beer, watching a race on TV, parked in a truck stop for the weekend. Someone called the police and he was arrested for driving a CMV under the influence. The police officer knew it was BS, but had to follow through on the complaint.
    A couple of years ago I was at my sister's house for the weekend, while having dinner she asked if I wanted some wine. I told her, "No, I have to sleep in the truck with my cat. Even on private property, I wouldn't drink a glass of wine and sleep in the truck."
    When we make a living with our CDL, most of us are smart enough to know better. I'm a pilot, if I lose my CDL for DWI, I automaticly lose my FAA medical. If I'm responsible to drive or fly, I won't even sniff a cork.
    I think Swift should have fired the driver on the spot and taken the truck, but calling the THP was low, even for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.