swift mentor #2

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by lost-in-montana, Mar 23, 2008.

1. lost-in-montana

lost-in-montana Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    i am into 4 weeks of my 6 weeks with swift training.its easter sunday and i chose to get of my last mentor's truck friday. now i have to wait until tommorow morning to call and see if i can get another mentor to finish my training. many of swift's managment read these forums and i dont want to start waves. but i would love to hear any and all swift mentor stories present or past good or bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jerryl

jerryl Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Well, people here probably won't like my story but I will tell it anyway. I had two mentors during my training at Swift. My first mentor was great. He spent time teaching me backing manuevers every chance he got. He also discussed how to handle various situations that could come up but that would be difficult to simulate. He had a great attitude and helped me through the transition to trucking. Within a week he had enough confidence in my abilities that he gave me more freedom in driving. He would just watch and let me know if I was needing to change what I was doing. Unfortunately, he finally got the call for the local job he was working on for months and he left with half my training to go. Within two days I had a new mentor. He was a great mentor but there was something about his personality that made the team mix difficult. After training he and I remained friends. He gave me some difficult backing and driving situations to ensure I learned what I needed to. There had been a few things my first mentor had missed during the assigned weeks and so he went back and covered them.

Unfortunately I let our "chemistry" problem cause me to develop an attitude which took me awhile to work out after my training period was over.

Both mentors were conscientious and did their best to teach me everything they could. 42 days seems like a long time but it really goes fast and I found there was still a lot I needed to learn. Even the training coordinator at my terminal was very supportive and worked hard to make sure I received the training I needed to be successful. The idea was, if I was successful and well-trained then that was good for both Swift and me.

4. lost-in-montana

Feb 12, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    well jerry glad to hear you.i was hoping to get the chance to talk to you. in the 4 weeks so far with my now ex mentor, it wasnt good the last 2 weeks. first off my paperwork he was supposed to fill out from the last 2 weeks isnt done im sitting at home waiting for tommorow to get another mentor. i want to see if this old mentor of mine is going to sell me out. he siad he wouldnt but i dont trust him. i tried to make it work but his constant bad attitude and his never getting sleep made himj a jerk. i do not and will not lie period.im a big guy and it took every ounce of me not beating the crap outta him friday. he hasnt been home since begining of january and he was looking for any excuse to fight with me. finally i couldnt take him anymore friday and got off his truck and found a ride home. now my dm for triaing is on vacation and i have no idea how the hell to get another mentor.he kept saying he would get to my paperwork but it hasnt been done. i have over 30 backs. but nothing is signed off (guess thats his ### not mine)i was on a dedicated wal-mart run with him. all he wanted me to do was drive drive drive. i had no problem with driving lol thats my job. but it was always highway miles.

5. psychocreep

psychocreep Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Flagstaff, Az
    I start orientation for Swift on Wednesday. Was going to go with Arrow but decided that I'm not quite ready for that challenge.

I think my biggest problem with going to Swift or any other company for that matter is the initial 6 weeks of training.

You know the questions we ask ourselves - "what kind of trainer/mentor will I get, is he/she going to be patient, will they teach me what I need to know, and is that persons hygiene up to par?".:smt102

I can only hope that I will get a trainer/mentor that actually knows what he's doing and can take me to the next level in a positive way.

6. jerryl

jerryl Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    You might try talking with the terminal manager. Two things would be first the need for a new mentor. Second, he may want to know of the situation with this mentor. It sounds like a safety issue. When they assign you a new mentor, hopefully they will get you a reasonable one (there are more of these than most want to believe). I would explain to him what all you did. He may try to get you a little free time at a terminal to show him your ability to do those items before signing them off or he may just sign them off by taking your word for it. My second one did that, but I didn't use that as an escape. I only asked him to sign off things I had done and knew I could do. Good luck. Hopefully by this time tomorrow you will be rolling once again.

7. jerryl

jerryl Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Yeah, teaming with a stranger can be scary. Keep in mind that some trainers have the same concern. Hopefully you will get one of the many good ones out there and things will go well. My understanding is that, if it is not working out, you can ask for a new trainer. At least I have drivers tell me they ended up doing this.

8. lost-in-montana

Feb 12, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    thanks jerry. the other funny thing is he accused me of having an attitude problem. well after all the ######## i went thru with him could you imagine me not having one? after getting off his truck and waiting for my ride home to fuel his truck at the terminal my then mentor was nicey nice to me telling me he will make sure i have a good recommendation from him.(guess thats his way of saying please dont tell managment how he was). well i never like to see anyone get into trouble so i wont create a fuss. as long as i get that good recomendation from him.i just hope he does take my advice when i told him he better rethink his ways before he gets his next student. thing that set me off the most is when i could never get a chance to get a meal at certain times his reply to this was (we are only responsible for getting you one hot meal a day) to which i laughed. dont inmates get better treatment?

9. Bemidjiflash

Bemidjiflash Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Bemidji, Mn.
    Years ago I was a trainer for Swift (before the "mentor" program) and found that who you got as a trainer was not simply important but vital! Some of us were old hands who stayed on when Swift bought our companies, others were fairly new (less than one years experience).
    You didn't say where you were training... but if you are near the Corrine, Ut. Terminal you might request Dixon. He has been training drivers for better than 18 years that I know of and he knows the ropes. The guys who get off his truck can make a living and stay safe.
    Best of Luck.

10. psychocreep

psychocreep Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Flagstaff, Az
    I know my former trainer at Werner had to contend my attitude, but it only flared when he would lose his patience with me and start yelling for no real reason. I wasn't causing a hazard to ourselves or others it was just a matter of having trust issues.

For instants - My trainer would sit in the passenger seat while I was driving and put his pretty good size arm on the dash blocking my view of the right mirror. He would then ask me to move in the right lane and I would ask him to move his arm so I could see. That's when he would start yelling and I would lose it right back at him.
    This Homey don't play that! :biggrin_25512:

Also, the food issue was something I had to compromise with. He was really good at getting us something to eat at which time I would eat as much as I could (without getting myself sick of course) and have something to snack on during the day. But it was for a legitimate reason (I thought). We would get JIT loads and just didn't have the time to so called "waste" on sit down dining.

11. lost-in-montana

Feb 12, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    thanks bemi ill try to ask for that mentor. i have 2 weeks left. like i said im not willing to try to get my old mentor in trouble i like to keep a low profile. its my fault for not getting off his truck a week earlier, i just dont like being run ragged nor treated like a inmate on someones truck.im not giving up since trucking is something i really want to do since i have friends almost everywhere in the country. im in montana my home terminal is lewiston idaho. but i was out of corinne training. guess i probably wont be going back there. but i live right off I-90 in montana and swift runs this road constantly. so for me to get picked up by another mentor should be fast. i guess thats why on swift's student paperwork it has 4 spots for 1st mentor 2 mentor 3rd mentor and 4th mentor :biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.