Swift or Community College?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by daniphoenix, Sep 9, 2019.

1. daniphoenix

daniphoenix Light Load Member

Hey. I’m a 29 year old woman, who had to move back in with my parents after a huge, bad, breakup. I have no kids, and nothing tying me to this state besides my parents, who financially I am a burden on.

I think truck driving would get me out of their house, and making more money. 17.5 an hour plus bonuses isn’t bad, but in Phoenix, with the cost of rent and living, on one income, it’s tough.

I want to get into trucking. But I’m terrified of getting into an accident and hurting someone. I want to make sure I’m 100% prepared for the road.

I’ve been doing all the practice tests online. That written part seems pretty straight forward...

As for the actual driving training... is it safer to go to swift, which would be local and an easy academy for me to get to, or fork out the money and go to school? I already have debt from failing out of community college when I was 18 that I’ve never been able to pay off... so I would have to come up with cash for school. Does swift prepare people for the road? Or are all these things I read online and hear about swift true, and that they put people on the road before they are ready?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't believe everything you hear about Swift; they have excellent cdl school.
    Can you pass a hair follicle drug test? Swift does that and if you fail it's going to be very hard to get a trucking career started.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another good option is Southwest Truck Driver Training in Phoenix.
    Tuition can be financed with the first payment not due until 45 days after graduation.
    Doing this will give you several options of companies to choose from and some will reimburse the tuition back to you in monthly installments. You can use that money to make the payments to the school.
    Click here for this one > Truck Driving School & CDL Training | Southwest Truck ...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    2323 S. 51st Ave.
    Phoenix, AZ 85043

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you prefer to leave Arizona quickly, Prime Inc. will ship you to Salt Lake City for their school.
    Usually, just does urine drug test unless there's something suspicious going on. This company also has a very good training program. Transportation to the school, meals & lodging provided.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

tscottme, daniphoenix and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Schneider or Prime will be best schools to go to they’ll train you well. Prime you have to have a 1 year contract with Schneider you won’t and you’ll get a truck faster with Schneider but with prime you get more training over the road your backing skills will be on point once finished. . Both schools pay you and feed you twice a day and buy you a bus ticket or reimburse you for gas if you bring your own car. Yes they get you a hotel while in training.

tscottme and daniphoenix Thank this.
  6. daniphoenix

I’m not worried about a follicle or drug test.

I did get into a fender bender. And I have to wait a minute until that’s off my record. :(

That, and money are the only thing holding me up

7. daniphoenix

That would be cool!!! It’s just taking a loan out it so difficult :(

8. daniphoenix

Thank you! That’s good to know. Are both real picky about who the let into training? How difficult is it to find a female trainer?

9. daniphoenix

I know it is :/ seems like it could be dangerous, but I’m so tired of living in poverty or having to depend on people. I was never good enough at school for a college degree either, and just want I do something with my kife

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Look into MCC, see if they still have their truck driver training program.

What side of town do you live on?
    My warehouse is centrally located downtown, I could probably give you some pointers if you wanted to stop by sometime.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  11. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Good luck and keep us posted with your progress. The one accident may not be a problem. Start calling some recruiters and ask questions.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.