Swift---sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by b3enthusiast, Feb 3, 2015.

1. b3enthusiast

b3enthusiast Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Does Swift do a sleep study on new hires?

B3

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm not sure what a Swifts particular policy on the matter involves, but most large companies will require one if you're neck is deemed to be too fat by their physician.

4. b3enthusiast

b3enthusiast Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Thanks for the info.....I'm probably borderline on the neck issue.

5. Dr. Gene O

Dr. Gene O Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2015
    It is only done if sleep apnea is suspected (interuptions of sleep) with new DOT regs. I am a DOT Doc in Northeast, so much depends on the physical exam....

6. Dr. Gene O

Dr. Gene O Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2015
    How do drivers "get the word out", network, about places that will do same day DOT exams, in addition to looking on the registry?

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Check out OOIDA: http://www.ooida.com/ReviewDoc/

8. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Swift uses the BMI above 35 as a trigger for a sleep study or a 6 month card to lose weight . Neck size doesn't figure as much as a weight vs height chart . Using BMI as an indicator is pure bs due to the nebulous , at best , results of various "studies " none of which are remotely in agreement . However , with thousands of drivers and applicants getting DOT physicals every month , Swift had to use some screening method .

Post your height and weight. I have the chart Swift uses and I can let you know what you will be looking at .

9. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Word of advice: If the doctor decides you need a sleep study, you usually get a year to get it done. Go to your family doctor and get a referral to a reputable sleep clinic. Do not fall for the less expensive "home test" that you pick up at a medical equipment store and take home with you for the night. You end up paying more in the long run, and wil end up witha CPAP machine, because I have yet to find a driver that tested negative for sleeep apnea at these places. If the "clinic" you go to has CPAP machines for sale displayed in the lobby, RUN! Don't wait a year after that physical and try and get it done at the last minute when your options are limited. Get it done the right way as soon as possible.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Doc at the clinic my company used would only give me a 3 month card, until I had a sleep study done.

11. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    A lot of companies especially big ones like Swift, want you to go to their Doc anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.