SWIFT Solo Drivers What's Your Typical Day?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Trygg, May 24, 2014.

1. Trygg

Trygg Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2014
    The West
    I'm asking all Swift Solo Drivers (OTR, Regional, Dedicated) how many miles do you drive typically each day? Don't be Mr. Macho and say some unbelievable amount like 1000 plus (Realistically the most you can drive legal with this company is 682 miles if you could average the 62 mph restriction that's on us the whole 11hrs) and don't be scared to post your number that you may think is low, I don't care and don't believe anyone else should either, we're not here to judge you. I just want to see what the bulk is driving, and what the company is expecting us to put in per day. I personally feel comfortable putting in around 8 hours of drive time a day and sticking close to within 480 miles a day. Most of the time it ends up closer to 500. So when I plan a load, I estimate my time of arrival at usually 450 miles per day. Others may not be satisfied unless they put in 11 hours driving every single day, and good for them, they're go-getters, I like to relax and try to enjoy my job.

TheRealPorkChopExpress Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I don't drive for Swift but I'd guess they expect you to drive as much as legally possible. Meaning at least 10 hours or 600 miles per driving shift. Which isn't really a lot. There are cowboys running 800 or 900 miles a day on paper, especially out west.

4. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    I am on the shuttle now, 472 miles every day, 6 days a week, but I was on a dedicated for many years for Swift. The daily miles would vary from 400 to sometimes over 600, but that was rare. I probably averaged 2200 to 2500 miles a week.

By the way, you are doing it right by driving about 8 hours a day. Be careful with your on duty not driving time and you will always have hours to work without a reset.

5. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

I run Target Dedicated, and I *average* around 400 miles a day. Some days are 550+; others are closer to 250. It all depends on the freight load for that day.

When I run OTR, I try to break 600 on my driving days.

6. BlackBeard

BlackBeard Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2010
    El Paso, TX
    I run about eight hours a day unless I woke up late and have to run 10.
    I try not to go 11 because I end up getting burned out by weeks end.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I drive what I can, or what I feel like, on any given day.

A good week would be 2500-2700 miles.
    Average is probably 2200.

Personally I like to drive around 450-500 miles per day. But the loads don't always amount to that much.
    Loading and unloading times, the time in between loads, the short ones that lead to something better...
    Sometimes I do 600+ in a day.

Today I had a load that was all of 8 miles loaded, and I had to sit around for several hours before the delivery time.
    I got paid $50 for that load, so the actual miles was not an issue.
    That load was to get me a decent mt for my 450 mile reposition down to NM, where freight is actually moving.

I really don't worry about how many miles I do during a day, or even a week.
    If I make enough $ for what I need, I am fine.

I seem to be like you. I don't want to run my tail off every single day. I like to relax at the end of the day and have some time to myself.
    It may be a 'lifestyle', but it is a job none the less. And I'm not about to run myself into the ground doing it.
    My 'lifestyle' is what I choose to make of it, after all.

I set my own pace out here, and the company seems just fine with how I do my job.
    I have a great on-time percentage, I have a Gold rating, my safety score is very good and my fuel mileage is usually pretty high.

I'm happy, Swift is happy.
    And it has nothing to do with driving as many miles as are legally possible.

inkeper, dptrucker and bab1369 Thank this.
  8. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    4-22 = 2465
    4-29= 331 home time

5-06= 2298
    5-13 = 2817

5-20= 2633
    5-26= 1700 home time
    this week will be about 2654 as of Tuesday..I am OTR

9. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I am Target dedicated, a good week I hit over 2500 miles, a slow week I get around 2100 and probably have averaged 2200 or so the past couple months but its starting to pick up now which im feeling. During the busy season such as Christmas I was running 3k average a week or more. I am about to take on Vegas runs going from Shafter, CA to Vegas then backhaul out of Lake Havasu AZ back to CA so the miles are going to increase a ton.

As for OTR I did not do too well for a lot of the time since I was lazy, bypassed good loads because I was picky on driving times, where it was going etc, once I started working harder and saw the better checks it changed my attitude on how much I drive. You might be happy with 8 hours a day, heck I wouldnt mind 8 hours a day if I could make the same money but I am happy if I put in 11-12 hours a day.

10. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    I average about 8.75 a day. I don't like driving more than that. I sometimes drive those 10 hour days but that's the exception and not rule. Because I hate taking a 34 hour reset. I belive in the past 8 months, I have done one

11. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    depends on the load and when it has to get there. i try to get as much miles in early, just in case of any issues. for this reason, i probably do more resets than most. but thats ok with me. example, this load i'm waiting for now(enroute to slc terminal)goes to fountain co for 05/27 0500 appt. i'm gonna run to denver terminal(531 miles) today, the run the 90 miles tomorrow at a t/s thats at that exit. i'm like moose, as long as my weekly checks are decent, i'm good. i have no kids, girlfreinds,or home. just a few bills(which should all be paid off this year). only thing i'm picky about, is i dont run over nite. also, i try to skirt the bad weather areas( been lucky this year)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.