Swift training school any one out here been there.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by my2girls, Sep 29, 2007.

1. my2girls

my2girls Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Linesville, PA
    Does anyone know how long Swifts training school is. I was told it was only 2 days, is this correct or should I take enough clothes for a week.

I do have 4 months experience does that make a diff.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Your experience may be the differance.

Swifts' school is much longer than 2 days. And it still sucks.

<--- spent too much time RE training Swift students who left during the starve em out period.

4. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    CDL school? It's three weeks. Then 6 on the road with a mentor.

5. Mklangelo

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    The guy just asked how long it was, not whether or not you thought it sucked. I swear it's a miracle any noobie that reads these boards ever gets into trucking...

6. Kapman

Kapman Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Simpsonville, Ky
    Amen! In fact, I must stop reading this board for awhile.. :biggrin_2556: Although, there's some great info here (very much appreciated), there's a hellabalot of negativism, as well. Too much, in fact...

KCGuy Thanks this.
  7. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    The negativity is directly at companies like Swift for a reason. To prevent someone who doesn't know any better, (read: You) from making a choice you will regret.
    You may make it at Swift, in fact, you may love it. The odds do not favor that outcome.
    Negativity equals "I told you so" and "You were warned".

There are companies on here with little or no bashing, and that is for a reason as well.

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    This is true. He did not ask my opinion. So that brings to the table, where did he get this information? Swift, maybe?? I think not. But there is that chance.

I trained several drivers who had went with Swift. They were in deep financial trouble when they left. Having to rely on the $250 a week to support a wife and kids, and themselves while on the road for Swift.

All the while, other companies are paying their students $5-800 a week while on the truck with a trainer.

I don't fault any NEW driver, for taking a job with Swift. But, I think it's a mistake to do so blindly.

He has 4 months experience, he can work for better companies. Much better.

9. Mklangelo

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

My hands were somewhat tied due to two DWI's (1989 & 1991) so my options were limited. I did have the foresight to at least enter the job market with my CDL. And I am going with Swift because it's the quickest way for me to start earning. The 6 weeks on the road AFTER you have your CDL will pay 350/week 1 & 2, 400/week 3 & 4 and 500/week 5 & 6. So it has improved a bit since your experience. Once I get some experience, more doors will open.

10. Hopfrog

Hopfrog Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm looking at the infotag for danc694u and it says he has 22 years experience. I think he knows the business a lot better than us greencollars and I'd listen to anything extra he has to say about a company. The main purpose this forum serves is for new drivers to glean knowledge from experienced ones, and I personally am willing to listen to every bit of it, unsolicited or not. :yes2557:

11. Kapman

Kapman Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Simpsonville, Ky
    [The main purpose this forum serves is for new drivers to glean knowledge from experienced ones]

And, I totally agree. However, IMHO, this was not a question about the integrity of a specific carrier, but a solicitation for advice under the circumstances. There's 2 threads on the pecking order of trucking companies- takes 15 mins to figure it out. Obviously, Swift is a REAL dead horse!

Hell, after reading the horror stories about ancient DUI's, I may end up kicking that horse, to. Who knows...? gotta do whatcha gotta do! We all made mistakes... does that mean we all drink on the job, to? Sheesh!

Good luck Mkl, keep posting!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.