Swift Transportation, Fairly Good Company So Far

Discussion in 'Swift' started by JAMES JACOB JORDAN, Aug 27, 2007.

1. JAMES JACOB JORDAN

JAMES JACOB JORDAN Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2007
    NOT LISTED, NOT LISTED
    Swift Transportation seems to be a fairly good company so far. Orientation was pleasant for everyone. Lunches were enjoyed. Motels were fair. Bus tickets paid for. Fuel receipts reimbursed. During orientation in Lewiston Idaho, orientation employees were saying that Swift is very strict about Federal Rules and Regulations and that the regulations must be obeyed. The Swift Driver Manual is very strict about certain things such as Logs and Speed Limits. The Swift Driver Manual is a nice thick manual that has much information about Swift. The Swift Driver Manual has many Policies and suggestions. It has Policies and Procedures and Suggestions for getting paid and copying BOL's and how to complain up the ladder if their ever was a problem with something. I'm not certain about other people, but I look at myself as a mellow Alabama Redneck living in an area with alot of rednecks, and I seem to get along okay with the people around me, and I seem to get along with the people at the Lewiston Idaho terminal. The drivers in the Driver Lounge all seemed kindof happy. The orientation employees and other employees at the Lewiston Idaho Terminal all seemed very polite.

benedict999 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IrishMike202

IrishMike202 <strong>"Ireland-It's My Island"</strong>

Jul 10, 2007
    West Virginia
    Edited so as not to draw any sarcasim

4. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2007
    ILLINOIS
    [​IMG]IrishMike202 [​IMG] vbmenu_register("postmenu_218652", true);
    "Ireland-It's My Island"
    [​IMG]
    Trucker? Student
    My Trucking Photos: 0

[​IMG]

Home time is one day home for every six out. They run a sliding scale which I am told to stay away from companys with a sliding scale as far as pay. You do start out at .26cpm for trips over 300 miles. The less miles per trip that you run, the more they pay you.

Swift does have a website with all of the information you require. Since I am not sure if I can post the link, go to any search engine and trype swift transportation.

They do have a nice website and great looking equipment but I have read too many bad things about them. I too was interested in them until I found this site. Mostly everyone here (except us newbs) has experiance so I would say pay close attention to what they are telling you.

Good luck finding a great company to drive for.

Mike remember when you was a newbe back 2 weeks ago. Now being a seasoned road pro...you can sniff out those recruiters. Mike ....there are alot of guys and gals on here that are very helpful and have some good advice for newbes....then there are those that want to be smart *^#%@ , which you want to be when you grow up?

ironhand Thanks this.
  5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Mr. James Jacob Jordan, I'm curious. This is nothing personal, so don't be rubbed the wrong way here. I assume you have moved to Idaho, as there would be no other explanation for why you're way up in Lewiston at the old West's Best terminal if you're an Alabama boy. There are other terminals between Lewiston and 'Bama, and I'm sure at least one could hook you up for orientation if you still live way down south.

ironhand Thanks this.
  6. IrishMike202

Jul 10, 2007
    West Virginia
    Did you even read my post? I really detect some undue sarcasim here. Not once did I say anything about being a "pro". From one "newbie" to another in the post I replied to, I was attempting to pass along info that I found as well as my humble opinion on an issue. In fact, I point out in my post that not only am I a "newbie" but my experiance thus far with those with experiance who have helped me make such opinions. Had it not been for their experiance, I would not be able to make such post.

Before you try and attack me and make me look like an ###, why not read the post!

7. HOUDINI

Jul 18, 2007
    ILLINOIS
    That was in response to your " sniff sniff does anyone else smell a recruiter " .

8. IrishMike202

Jul 10, 2007
    West Virginia
    I edited it just for you! Never the less, your comments at the end were uncalled for.

9. HOUDINI

Jul 18, 2007
    ILLINOIS
    It had nothing to do with the post I copied. I only used it to remind you that 2 weeks ago you were staing you were a newbe. Then you responded to a newbes post very negetive and sarcastic. I to have alot of respect for alot of the truckers and their advice on here. Then there are those that are so negative and want to make everyone feel stupid. You have to admit your response to JAMES JACOB was not helpful or least bit nice to him. Just dont want to see someone else get caught up in that came of putting down everyones post. Swift just might be a good match for him. He may be very well pleased with his performance and expierence that he is having. None of us know how his exp. is with Swift. I hope it works for him and that he never regrets his decission. Its a tough decission to go through....so many Disneyland promises and websites....who really knows what is true or right to we actually go through it with that company.

10. shortstop

shortstop Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2007
    florida
    Ok I cant stand it no more I have to repley, about swift, but just like all companies they have their good and bad, they have their BS, It just depends on what BS your willing to put up with, I have only been driving for 2 1/2 yrs so yes i am still a rooke, but sad to say I have jumped around to alot of different companies in that short time, I never thought I would see myelf working for swift, (sexy woman in Freightliner Truck) lol
    or as some i now puts it ( Sure was insain Trucking)

I have my good weeks in miles and my bad, My average bringhome pay w/perdiem is 600.00 too 800.00 one week, some weeks 300 or 400, but it differs, one week i will get 3200 miles but the next i may only get 2100..
    you are usually planned out of your home terminal, but if you have to t-call a load or drop a load at a terminal then the planners there find you loads,
    well if you deliver a load to kmart in denver, co they will not give you an empty trlr back so there you go playing the hunting game to find mt's and end up sitting sometimes 34hrs, if you go to california, sometimes its hard to get a good size load, you take anything just to get out of there,
    I get 35 cents mile from the west coast to the missippi river but from the river to the east coast I only get 33 cents a mile, (go figure)
    oh and the speed thing, governed at 65 on cruise it only goes 62,, if you let your truck coast past 70 miles, it is considered flagerent overspeed, meaning you are speeding on purpose and dont have control of that truck,, so you get a written violation, oh and 3 of those in a 12 mth period your fired,,,,
    and you have to watch the loads the planners give you make sure you have the hours to run the load legally, and if you dont you can refuse the load explaning not enough hours but then watch out your sitting there a day waiting for another preplan, and if you take it and fudge on your log sheets they may or maynot catch you if they do you have to go to a terminal and take a log class,
    unless you are lucky to get a good dm, you can get some miles, but he cant help you on nites and weekends,
    I look at it as I am working and making money until I find something else that sounds better or has the BS i am willing to put up with, but if your just starting out, get the experience unless you just cant stand it dont jump the gun and get hot headed and leave to alot of different companies,
    because now the problem I am having is that alot of the so called good companies have new rules that if you have more then 3 empoyees in a 2 or 3 yr period they wont hire you,, well you all have a good day and take care ok good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
    benedict999 Thanks this.
  11. TruckerJoe

TruckerJoe Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Snohomish, WA
    Ok I have been with Swift as a new driver for 6 months now. I had my doubts reading everything I could on this site but I was committed. From my first day to today everything has been good. I have been out the past 71 days stright and have seen everything from a M/C rider being killed in front of me to all the problems with mt's and shippers that everyone has wrote about. Yes I have had to wait to be loaded and unloaded at times but most of the time I had a pre-plan before I arrived with the load I was carrying. I seen all 48 states and have had fun 80% of the time, not to say I have had no issues but none bad enough to ##### about. Just my 2 cents worth...:biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.